Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Investing Using RRSP money - Where and What Rate?

MitchParkerRE

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering where REIN members place their registered account and TFSA capital (RRSP, LIRA, RIF)?

What returns would you expect from these investments?

Thanks,

Mitch Parker

647-984-7844

[email protected]

www.MPprivatecapital.com

"Providing investors with safe, consistent, high return investment opportunities and developers with private capital"

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=MitchParkerRE]Hi Everyone,

I was wondering where REIN members place their registered account and TFSA capital (RRSP, LIRA, RIF)?

What returns would you expect from these investments?

Thanks,

Speaking for myself, I invest in US stocks. TFSA, RRSA and non-registered.

TFSA

The TFSA does not include the $5.5k allocation for 2013.

General Investments CAD and USD

I have no expectations about returns. In general, over the last 15 years I have had an average annual return of a little more than 15% per year. This returns accounts for dividends, commissions, and withholding.

Returns - tabular

Returns - graphical

Disclosure: I do not follow nor believe in conventional diversification, asset allocation or re-balancing. With only 6 stocks across all my portfolios some would consider this to be "too risky". It is not risky for me (obviously). Everybody has their own definition of "risk" and should do whatever suits their own temperament. I am not qualified to give financial advice. Follow the advice of your own financial advisor. Nothing I say or write should be taken as a recommendation to buy or sell anything.

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
[quote user=Rickson9] In general, over the last 15 years I have had an average annual return of a little more than 15% per year.

This is very impressive in this time frame. The only thing I have heard of that comes close using your RRSP is placing a second mortgage on someone elses property but I have never done this and don't know how risky this is, and how predictable the returns are.

You describe diversification, re-balancing as playing not to lose, vs. focusing your eggs in a few baskets and playing to win, which is what most folks seem to be doing with their own properties.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
A broad question: "How shall I invest my money." Almost as broad as "how shall I live my life" but broader than "what is a good car".

I have some thoughts on my blog. I like sensibly levered income producing real estate in growth markets (but that is not allowed directly in TFSA or RRSP, only indirectly or through REITs). I also do stocks, incl. spreads (not allowed in TFSA or RRSP) and covered calls (that is allowed .. see my blog). Many folks do stock pickings very well, others do ETFs, some do second mortgages, and many do many things with success or without.

I have done 100%+ on some real estate, and 40% on some stocks, but also some losses, but on average double digit/year for over a decade.

Specifically, if you are lazy do XRE and XIU do get exposure at low cost to Canadian real estate and the top 60 Canadian companies. If you want higher returns, follow some stock news letters or do covered calls or spreads on select stocks allowing double digit ROIs even in flat market.

This is not investment nor financial advice. This is an (informed?) opinion.

Top Bottom