Investor Owner of Property Management Company

Jeffrey2144

New Forum Member
Registered
QUOTE (harland @ Sep 25 2010, 02:50 AM) I often think that if you are having your property managed by a company that owns property themselves, their properties won`t be the ones that are ever vacant. Has anyone else ever considered this?

Hi Delanee - I can`t speak for every management company but that is certainly NOT the case with my business.

Have you ever heard the old proverb -- the shoemaker`s son always goes barefoot?

That`s the feeling I get sometimes. I get so wrapped up with my client`s properties that mine tend to come in last. When I really stop and think why that is I’d say that it’s easier to cut corners on my own property because I have no one to answer to but myself.

With a clients property there is an avalanche of repercussions if I do not do my job correctly. The client loses which ultimately means my business, the tenants, my employees and my family all suffer as a result.

As a property manager you can’t hide your ineptitude for long. Besides, I structure my agreements so that I don’t get paid if the property is vacant. This keeps everyone pointed in the same direction.

At the end of the day it all boils down to integrity and ones motivation.

With that in mind I’d say my situation is almost identical to Brett’s where I started out self-managing (for reasons A, B & C – yes I actually do like it) then passively built a business around that through word-of-mouth. We also focus on single-family and smaller multi-plex investments (for now).

As an investor first, every aspect of my business originates from an investors point of view with a primary focus of increasing the property owners Return On Investment (ROI). I like to think of myself more as a proactive, hands-on investment advisor rather than a property manager [insert Superman avatar here
].

housingrental

Registered
I second Jeff`s post, highlighting paragraph 3 and 4. This really is the case for most management companies. And the ones where it isn`t don`t last long.

Jeff - Didn`t realize you did much management...

Jeffrey2144

New Forum Member
Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Sep 26 2010, 02:30 PM) Jeff - Didn`t realize you did much management...
Yep! Sure do... I also started a contracting division to service those properties and anyone else that needs a la carte services.

I figure it`s hard to build an empire without a solid foundation so I decided to take matters into my own hands. We`ve been busy implementing systems and more systems to manage those systems, etc. It`s a never ending game and that`s what I love about it.

I think Lexus said it best... "the relentless pursuit of perfection". Some days though I just feel like a donkey, walking in circles, chasing a carrot.

housingrental

Registered
Awesome Jeff! The only thing that provides more fun than real estate investing is property management. "May you live in interesting times"

QUOTE (jvarcoe @ Sep 27 2010, 08:21 PM) Yep! Sure do... I also started a contracting division to service those properties and anyone else that needs a la carte services.

I figure it`s hard to build an empire without a solid foundation so I decided to take matters into my own hands. We`ve been busy implementing systems and more systems to manage those systems, etc. It`s a never ending game and that`s what I love about it.

I think Lexus said it best... "the relentless pursuit of perfection". Some days though I just feel like a donkey, walking in circles, chasing a carrot.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Sep 22 2010, 02:44 PM) Please elaborate !

You work for free ? Every property should be charged a management fee .. even if it justify shuffles money from the left top the right pocket.

How much do you charge to manage a duplex or 4-plex ?

When I raise capital for our limited partnerships we offer the inclusion of our management service as part of our value proposition. So we do 50/50 but in addition to all of the things a normal `real estate expert` would do we also manage the property for free.

So my 50/50 may be closer to 48/52 or something like that. We certainly don`t work for free as we often get paid for representing our partnership on the buyer end of the sale as well as arranging the financing. However that`s not taking any money out of the left pocket of the partnership whereas the management fees would be.

So when I say that our management division essentially breaks even it actually does a little better than that on account of carrying the burden of our 27 `owner owned` doors.

We charge 10% to manage any door as well as a small `lease up` fee any time we have to place a tenant.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (jvarcoe @ Sep 27 2010, 05:21 PM) .. Some days though I just feel like a donkey, walking in circles, chasing a carrot.

Why ?

Can you delegate more ? Fire some (unprofitable) properties ? charge higher fees to some others that are marginal ?

Do a pain index: plot revenue vs. time spend on each property, say over a course of a year. Then divide $s by time .. and think: why do I manage those and cut the bottom 20% immediately.

Have you heard about the 20/80 Principle ?

Have you read the 4hour work week ? read it .. some great ideas that might help you be more profitable working less hours !

Jeffrey2144

New Forum Member
Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Sep 28 2010, 11:42 PM) Why ? Can you delegate more ? Fire some (unprofitable) properties ? charge higher fees to some others that are marginal ?
Hi Thomas,

That is all very good advice and is much appreciated. If I could just fire all the tenants and have the owners pay me to watch their empty houses -- that would be ideal.

All kidding aside, my frustration (and ironically my pleasure) comes from the growth spurts. I find its those in-between stages where you almost need to hire someone else but the numbers do not quite justify it so you just push forward and get the job done.

I believe these are important turning points for every entrepreneur as these are the times where you modify your systems to become more efficient. It becomes an issue of getting more done in less time (without damaging your quality of service) out of shear survival. Then, once you`ve made that process as efficient as it`s going to realistically get and you`ve created ways to avoid the "time monkeys" (i.e. tenants) that rob you of your productivity but you`re still too busy... THEN, and only then, can I justify passing my re-defined and finely-tuned set of responsibilities off to a paid employee.

QUOTE Do a pain index: plot revenue vs. time spend on each property...
This is another part of the growth process we are working on. My book-keeper and I are making changes to ensure I can get detailed property and job reports so that I can see more at a glance and make appropriate changes to increase margins.

I am certainly not complaining as this experience is exactly what I asked for. Life and business are moving in the right direction -- it`s all good. Thanks again for your advice.