Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ironman World Championships in Kona - Here I come

BHoward

Registered
In Nov 2005 I attended my first REIN Quickstart ... and set out a 5 year plan ... that had me competing in Triathalon Ironman in Kona in Fall 2010.

... well on Sunday I did a 9 hour 45 min Ironman Canada ... which placed me 3rd in my age group ... and got me the Kona spot! (I was 17th amateur athlete ... from a field of about 2300.)

I`m competing on Oct 11 in Kona!

Thanks to Don and the REIN team ... in assisting me ... in this GREAT real estate business. I love it.

Bryon

GarthChapman

Registered
Wow Bryon! I had no idea...
Kona is the big one, no?
Promise you will keep us all posted on your amazing story.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
That is a HUGE accomplishment... congratulations.

To think that you are competing in a race that literally tens of thousand around the world want to get an invite to. Fantastic.

Enjoy a proud moment!

selias

Registered
All I can say is WOW.....
I think REIN does so much for your head, not just your financial investments.
Ironman Canada..impressive. 3rd AMAZING!
I`ll have to track you down at a meeting and hear all about it.

GSI

REIN Member
QUOTE (BHoward @ Aug 28 2008, 05:29 PM) In Nov 2005 I attended my first REIN Quickstart ... and set out a 5 year plan ... that had me competing in Triathalon Ironman in Kona in Fall 2010.

... well on Sunday I did a 9 hour 45 min Ironman Canada ... which placed me 3rd in my age group ... and got me the Kona spot! (I was 17th amateur athlete ... from a field of about 2300.)

I`m competing on Oct 11 in Kona!

Thanks to Don and the REIN team ... in assisting me ... in this GREAT real estate business. I love it.

Bryon

Byron,

That is going to be an awesome experience! Great to see that you`re on track for realizing all of your goals.

Todd-

AlisonKeighan

Registered
A huge congratulations to you. I`m a back-of-the-pack triathlete who did IMC in `05 & `07. This year, I spent the day glued to Ironmanlive on my computer. Kona & other destination triathlons figure prominently in my Personal Belize as well. What a huge journey for you and great inspiration for the rest of us. Simply amazing!

Are you writing a race report? If so, it would be great if you`d post it.

Alison Keighan

BHoward

Registered
... here`s the full report! I had the race of my dreams … taking 28 minutes of my best time, qualifying for the Ford Ironman World Championship in Kona, and finishing 3[sup]rd[/sup] in my age group.

About 10 months ago … I booked my Kona accommodations from Oct 2-17 … for WHEN I qualify for the World Championships on Oct 11. My mind set was … Kona or bust.

Since I did not register for IMC, I had to qualify to get there. I qualified in Oliver, BC on June 1.

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I had a great race …

Swim Time – 1:01:12

In my opinion … this is a pretty smoking time. I don`t deserve it. In the pool, I work hard to hang onto my mates that swim IM in 1:10 and 1:15.

tyle="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">How did you do it? I swam on the inside next to the buoys … and looked for fast feet to draft onto. Because I can`t swim in a straight line … I try to find someone with some florescent patch on their leg … then I just enjoy the bubbly sensation hanging onto their draft. I think many years of playing Rugby and inventing "Chinese Downhill Ski Racing" as a teenager … turns out to assist my meditative state in chaos.

Bike Time – 5:15:21

When I did Ironman in 2006, I missed the roll down to Kona by one spot and just a few seconds. I said then that I would get `fitted` with gear for the next Ironman.

However, I was very reluctant. (Lance said, "It`s not about the bike". I`d rather spend $5,000 on my next piece of real estate.) Finally in Mid July I broke down and got a tri specific bike – a Cervelo P2C. My good friend Greg Kolodziejzyk helped me fit the bike to copy my existing position. He also set me up with an SRM (to measure power), race wheels and an aero helmet! (His help was simply amazing!)

My plan: Hold 210-220 watts for the entire bike ride, and sip on my 1500 calorie bottle and drink one areobar water every aid station.

I followed the plan … and for the most part really enjoyed the ride. My $80 Aero Bontragger (… which supposedly would make me 2 min. faster) water bottle was really heavy … and it actually fell off the bike early in the race. I turned back and collected it.

(Did you Pee? 5 times!)

FIRST BIKE SEGMENT - 42.5 mi. (2:05:51) - 20.26 mph>FINAL BIKE SEGMENT - 69.5 mi. (3:09:30) - 22.01 mph

Run Time - 3:24:35

My plan was to start slow for 3-10 km … then when feeling good … I would try to hold 8 minute miles to do a 3:30 marathon. My watch was broken and I forgot to take my new fandangle Garmin 405 … so I had no way to measure pace.

I did start slow for about 3 km … then picked it up. I felt great most of the run … and just wanted to the finish and enjoy some pizza. About Mile 22 … my newly developed Abdominal Hernia … began to cause some grief. I thought I was well ahead … so I slowed considerably. In the last 500m of the run … I wasn`t paying attention … and was passed … putting me in 3[sup]rd[/sup] place.

FIRST RUN SEGMENT - 13.1 mi. (1:42:07) - 7:47/mile

FINAL RUN SEGMENT - 13.1 mi. (1:42:28) - 7:49/mile

"You must learn from your past mistakes, but not lean on your past successes." Denis Waitley

What did I do to get to Mr. Happy going to Kona?

-I signed up with Critical Speed. I wanted training partners – who would push me.
-I lost weight. Since November I lost 10-12 lbs. On the day before Ironman I was 162 lbs. (Depending on the time of day … and the scales I stood on … I got down to 155. In November I was 170.)

-I got a new bike … and Greg Kolodqiejzyk set me up and helped me with a `power` plan.

-I had a nutrition plan. Hammer Product works great for me.

-I had fun with age old idea`s, recently popularized by Oprah, contained in "The Secrete", and "The Law of Attraction", and "The Power of Now".

I`m Mr. Happy

I`ve been `visualizing` a sub 10 hour Ironman … with the idea that I would be okay with a 10:10 … which I figured would qualify me for Kona.

I may have wondered in the past if I could do a 9:45 … but it would have only been a fleeting thought.

It was of course wonderful to have my wife Shirley, and kids Robin and Jacob with me. It was very special to run down the chute with Jacob.

Also, my sister Peggy and her family were all there.

It was cool.

!--sizeo:3-->

What`s next?

I`m looking forward to The World Championship in Kona … the flights are booked … and we are all excited.

(This far I haven`t committed to a goal – other than raising money for Habitat for Humanity … but I`m wondering why I shouldn`t be able to do sub 10 hours again.!)

I`m on the `once an age group Ironman program`. Thus far I`ve done three IM … all in different age groups. I look forward to doing more cycle and sea kayak touring, short adventure races, and short tri`s. After Kona, I`ll be looking for an Ironman sometime after 2012. Until then, I`ll stay fit … and I`ll be strategizing on how to win my age group next time!

As Ralph Waldo Emerson said "The reward of a thing well done is to have done it."

I love being outside … and I love training. It makes me a better in all aspects of my life ... a Dad, an investor, and a better realtor. My reward is surrounding myself with great people, and visualizing the results I want. (Thanks Coach Cal – Critical Speed, Les Hewitt – Power of Focus, Mike Ferry - Real Estate Coach, Don Campbell – REIN and Greg Kolodqiejzyk).

… I am Mr. Happy. (I wore this T-Shirt at the awards ceremony at IMC.)

selias

Registered
Thanks for sharing your story. I plan on doing Stoney next year and this is great inspiration.
I totally agree about drafting i the swim (It is a crazy experience!).
I would love to chat with you at the next meeting as I was thinking of having some coaching from Cal as well.
GREAT JOB!

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Can`t wait for your October post telling us how you did!

We`re all behind you! (no pun intended).

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Amazing! I have a photo taken from Google Images of a triathlete finishing Ironman Hawaii (with my head superimposed) on my belize collage. You`re a huge inspiration. Thanks!

Top Bottom