Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is a Property Management License required?

blueocean11

Registered
I've been doing research on property management companies and have been told both that they need a license and they don't. I'm a little confused. One realtor told me you had to be licensed if you are a realtor and managed other people's properties.

Any help in clarifying this would be of great help.

RedlineBrett

Registered
Here is a link to the real estate act

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/R05.pdf

You need a license to trade in real estate. Trade as it relates to property management is defined as follows:

"(s.1) `property management` includes any of the following:

(i) leasing or offering to lease real estate or negotiating

or approving, or offering to negotiate or approve, a

lease or rental of real estate;

(ii) holding money received in connection with an

activity referred to in subclause (i);

(iii) advertising, negotiating or carrying out any other

activity, directly or indirectly, for the purpose of

furthering an activity referred to in subclause (i) or

(ii);

If you want to do showings and leasing for more than one person and make
money doing so you have to be licensed with a brokerage that trades in
property management. So more than just a regular old realtor. To receive rents and hold security deposits you need two trust accounts. Most real estate brokerages only do buy/sell and don't allow their agents to do property management.

blueocean11

Registered
thanks for your post Brett. I did read your post on the other property management post.

I forgot to mention the province which is Saskatchewan.

housingrental

Registered
No. For condo managers yes though...

[quote user=Seankm21]Is that the same for Ontario as well? Where do you find that info? Thanks

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Check with your local real estate governing body, or even the local real estate board... not a Realtor.

In BC it is the Real Estate Council of British Columbia. Probably every governing body has a website with that information on it.

I believe Ontario does not have a licensing requirement for PM's, but I am not 100% certain. I have no idea about Sask.

chrisbinder

Registered
Most states require property management companies to be licensed real estate brokers if they are collecting rent, listing properties for rent or helping negotiate leases. A property manager may be a licensed real estate salesperson but generally they must be working under a licensed real estate broker.

Top Bottom