Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is it a Bubble?

R

RussellWestcott

Once again ... when the national media wants an unbiased opinion on a topic (based upon the research)

Click here to watch Don on BNN talking about this topic

click here

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (YehoramShenhar @ Feb 10 2010, 11:40 AM) Article from WSJ raising concerns about the (too?) fast recovery of Canadian real estate - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...0730017666.html

What are your thoughts?

As an investor I always pray for asset prices to collapse. My wife and I have always done well buying during asset meltdowns - since we`re not as sophisticated, it`s the easiest way for us to build wealth.

Having said that, I want to add that although I don`t know what triggers the implosion of a bubble; I have noticed that it is usually something that nobody saw coming.

In my opinion (I can only speak for myself), predicting the future is a waste of my time. I would rather play video games.

GaryMcGowan

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Feb 14 2010, 02:45 PM) Having said that, I want to add that although I don`t know what triggers the implosion of a bubble; I have noticed that it is usually something that nobody saw coming.

The whys and hows is what REIN teaches at the monthly events. Now that they have partnered with Tell Me The Time we will get more insight to the market trends.

kanabel

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Feb 14 2010, 12:45 PM) As an investor I always pray for asset prices to collapse. My wife and I have always done well buying during asset meltdowns - since we`re not as sophisticated, it`s the easiest way for us to build wealth.

Having said that, I want to add that although I don`t know what triggers the implosion of a bubble; I have noticed that it is usually something that nobody saw coming.

In my opinion (I can only speak for myself), predicting the future is a waste of my time. I would rather play video games.

Reading your other posts, I have specific question for you? Is the time NOW to buy real estate and/or stocks and what`s your opinion when if not now? In general, I agree with you about downturns, just want to hear when you recognize them as opportunity, and if the time is now.

Thanks
Dejan

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Feb 14 2010, 12:45 PM) As an investor I always pray for asset prices to collapse. My wife and I have always done well buying during asset meltdowns - since we`re not as sophisticated, it`s the easiest way for us to build wealth.

I don`t because my properties go in value down as well. This could get nasty when mortgage renewal and refinancing comes to mind. Just buy when the price is right with positive cashflow. How many times can you go wrong with market timing before you go bankrupt?

I am still amazed about the number of investors who feel they can do market timing. It seems like Don and many others are just talking to a concrete wall. REIN`s strategy is mostly buy and hold. Have flippers not lost enough money, should your`s be added?

As for bubbles, it really depends where you are in Canada. I think Calgary is still somewhat depressed regardless of the cheery news paper articles.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (RussellWestcott @ Feb 10 2010, 09:54 AM) Once again ... when the national media wants an unbiased opinion on a topic (based upon the research)

Click here to watch Don on BNN talking about this topic

click here

Don explained some of this stuff quite well, but you really wonder about Andrew Bell and his off the cuf statement that self-employed people don`t have to prove income. In what country is Andrew living? Last time I wanted a $1500 max credit card, I had to show two years of tax assesments not to mention the balance sheets of my business. Also, in spite of everything, whether it is the Globe or BNN, they are so darn Toronto centric.

Top Bottom