Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is it legal to send yellow letter with name addressed in Canada?

antaynguy

REIN Member
Hi everyone,

Some responses that I receive are from very angry owners claiming that I have broken the privacy act law in Canada.

Is this true or are they blowing smoke?

Thanks!

Antay

tbarcier

Registered
It depends on how you obtain the information. That being said though, ownership of a property is public information.

GarthChapman

Registered
I`m no lawyer but my common sense tells me that if you are using information about them that is in the public domain, and you are not disclosing that information to others, that oughta be OK.

antaynguy

REIN Member
QUOTE (tbarcier @ Oct 28 2009, 11:31 AM) It depends on how you obtain the information.

The information is an address and a name. You can get this information pretty much everywhere.
The sources of the information is from all the data brokers that is mentioned from Quick Turn discussion.

Antay

tbarcier

Registered
Any one can go to the land registry office to find out who owns said land. Public domain. As long as the data brokers are getting it legit than thats ok. I spoke with the Privacy Commissoners office about this. They even said that most people throw this out there and they don`t even know what the law covers.

marcp

Registered
And that is why PatLive should be taking the calls.

Ron Legrand said this specifically, word for word in the bootcamp. It`s on the CD`s!! Listen again..

"You`ll be getting calls from very angry people, but they`ll be chewing up PatLive, not you! "

David Sandbrand (REIN member) didn`t even give out his own number on the yellow letter, but one person even searched him out, and called his cell directly!! He got an earful on that one too!

Cheers.

travis

Registered
Hi Antay,

It is legal to send the mail, otherwise list brokers wouldn`t sell the information. I imagine they are mad because they assume that you have more information on their home than what`s in the letter (which you don`t, yet).

What is your %-age call back and what %-age of those have homes for sale? Now, prospects / suspects?

Most of us won`t have a call back rate as high as the Edmonton conference because he mailed out to foreclosures and expired listings (neither of which I personally have). I`ll be mailing 500 letters out early next week.

Travis

QUOTE (antay @ Oct 28 2009, 11:41 AM) The information is an address and a name. You can get this information pretty much everywhere.
The sources of the information is from all the data brokers that is mentioned from Quick Turn discussion.

Antay

JohnSoucie

REIN Member
QUOTE (marcp @ Oct 28 2009, 02:12 PM) And that is why PatLive should be taking the calls.

Ron Legrand said this specifically, word for word in the bootcamp. It`s on the CD`s!! Listen again..

"You`ll be getting calls from very angry people, but they`ll be chewing up PatLive, not you! "

David Sandbrand (REIN member) didn`t even give out his own number on the yellow letter, but one person even searched him out, and called his cell directly!! He got an earful on that one too!

Cheers.

Wow! When Ron talked about putting your addredd on the back, some people balked about putting their residential address on it and I believe another address option was offered up. I didn`t make note because I couldn`t see what all the fuss was about. Now that I know some nutbars will actually sleuth out your phone number and start harrasing you in person over the phone....I might want to rethink getting an alternate address to write in there.
Anyone have ideas.....it was something about a PO Box type deal that actually had an address....UPS Store maybe?

Thanks;
John

L

lanedry77

QUOTE (marcp @ Oct 28 2009, 12:12 PM) David Sandbrand (REIN member) didn`t even give out his own number on the yellow letter, but one person even searched him out, and called his cell directly!! He got an earful on that one too!It`s true... I received a call from a blocked number on my personal cell (which was NOT the number I used in my marketing) by a lady that was very upset.

She was in foreclosure, and it seemed like the point she was most upset about what that someone else knew
she was in foreclosure.

She said she thought this sort of information was private in Canada (she has a British accent). I obtained her information entirely through legal and public channels, and gently told her that she was mistaken.

She called me all sorts of bad names, and kept insisting that I remove her from my mailing list. Of course, she called from a blocked number, and wouldn`t give me her name or the address of the property, making removing her from my list impossible.

In the end, she said she would rather let the bank foreclose her out of the house that so sell to someone like me, then she hung up.

... I just sent another marketing batch this week, so I`m expecting another call from the nice British lady any day.

The bottom line is that you can`t please all the people, and if she doesn`t want to sell, I don`t want to buy. or in Ron`s words: "NEXT!"

David.

L

lanedry77

QUOTE (JohnSoucie @ Oct 28 2009, 12:49 PM) Anyone have ideas.....it was something about a PO Box type deal that actually had an address....UPS Store maybe?
John,

The UPS store (formerly Mail Boxes Etc) or the FedEx store (formerly Kinkos) will rent a private mail box that has a `suite` style address like;

Suite 42, 101 Main Street

where the store is located at 101 Main Street, and you rent box 42.

they cost a few hundred dollars a year.

David.

antaynguy

REIN Member
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input. I am glad that I am not the only one getting nasty phone calls.(Not that I wish you all receive them.) I actually use Patlive. Patlive record the conversation in the comments. This is the reason why I don`t answer those calls myself. "They would make me old". I think the angry responses I have been receiving are from the people who are in foreclosure. It is true that they don`t reallize that once they are in foreclosure and filed at the court, it is public domain information.

Antay

Jeffrey2144

New Forum Member
Registered
QUOTE The UPS store... will rent a private mail box that has a `suite` style address like;

Suite 42, 101 Main Street

where the store is located at 101 Main Street, and you rent box 42.

they cost a few hundred dollars a year.

I spoke to my local UPS store and the cost for a small "standard letter" mailbox (known as a Personal Plus at the UPS Store) is as follows:
Buy 3 months, get 1 free = 4 months for $65 ($16.25/month)
Buy 6 months, get 2 free = 8 months for $118 ($14.75/month)
Buy 12 months, get 3 free = 15 months for $215 ($14.33/month)

NOTE: You can attach up to 3 different "names" to this address (i.e. 1 for personal mail and 2 other company names/businesses). There is also a $20 deposit for the 2 keys they give you (1 for the store, 1 for the mailbox). This mailbox is available 24/7 for your convenience.

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Yikes. Definitely need to be using PatLive to prescreen. Note to self; don`t offer office phone number to callers.

Even some of the FSBOs get angry about some of the questions we are asking; and they are advertising to call them!!!

MelanieDriedger

Registered
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Oct 28 2009, 10:27 PM) Yikes. Definitely need to be using PatLive to prescreen. Note to self; don`t offer office phone number to callers.

Even some of the FSBOs get angry about some of the questions we are asking; and they are advertising to call them!!!

Maybe that is why Ron uses Grant as his last name instead of LeGrand!
Melanie

workman

Registered
QUOTE (MelanieDriedger @ Oct 29 2009, 09:33 AM) Maybe that is why Ron uses Grant as his last name instead of LeGrand!
Melanie

I have recieved a few calls today on my personal cell from very upset people that recieved my yellow letter and felt it necessary to hunt me down. I am thinking of using my middle name without my last name. What does everyone think of that? It seems that I can be found on the web very easy. Who know.

Thanks

Jody

antaynguy

REIN Member
QUOTE (workman @ Oct 29 2009, 09:55 PM) I have recieved a few calls today on my personal cell from very upset people that recieved my yellow letter and felt it necessary to hunt me down. I am thinking of using my middle name without my last name. What does everyone think of that? It seems that I can be found on the web very easy. Who know.

Thanks

Jody
Hey Jody,

I haven`t receive phone calls from my personal phone yet, but I understand what you`re saying. The comments from patlive tells me the whole story. I sent 500 name addressed letter to a postal code area and boy was I ever in a surprise from the responses I get. Some were pretty angry saying "Where did you get my name and address!?"(like they been living in a secret place and someone found out) "Remove me from your list!".(That`s typical) One time, I forward the calls to my cells, and boy that was a mistake, they guy on the phone was using foul langagues and yelling and hung up. I am changing my returning address, and my name for sure.

Antay

randywiebe

Registered
Although it feels a bit deceptive, I think it`s a good idea to use a second name. We did this on the Yellow Letters we printed. Once you weed out the suspects you can share your real name with the prospects.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
So these angry people that call up, what are they angry about? Is this the first time they`ve ever got junk mail? I don`t understand what`s setting them off and what they hope to accomplish by calling. Trying to put myself in their shoes and I`m just not getting it... I`ve received many letters over the years from realtors who have buyers looking for a house in my area - is that so much different?

antaynguy

REIN Member
QUOTE (JimWhitelaw @ Oct 30 2009, 12:41 PM) So these angry people that call up, what are they angry about? Is this the first time they`ve ever got junk mail? I don`t understand what`s setting them off and what they hope to accomplish by calling. Trying to put myself in their shoes and I`m just not getting it... I`ve received many letters over the years from realtors who have buyers looking for a house in my area - is that so much different?

It`s weird how people behave but true.

Anyways, that`s my experience...but that`s not going to stop me though.

Joel30

New Forum Member
Registered
QUOTE (DavidSandbrand @ Oct 28 2009, 12:52 PM) It`s true... I received a call from a blocked number on my personal cell (which was NOT the number I used in my marketing) by a lady that was very upset.
She was in foreclosure, and it seemed like the point she was most upset about what that someone else knew
she was in foreclosure.

She said she thought this sort of information was private in Canada (she has a British accent). I obtained her information entirely through legal and public channels, and gently told her that she was mistaken.

She called me all sorts of bad names, and kept insisting that I remove her from my mailing list. Of course, she called from a blocked number, and wouldn`t give me her name or the address of the property, making removing her from my list impossible.

In the end, she said she would rather let the bank foreclose her out of the house that so sell to someone like me, then she hung up.

... I just sent another marketing batch this week, so I`m expecting another call from the nice British lady any day.

The bottom line is that you can`t please all the people, and if she doesn`t want to sell, I don`t want to buy. or in Ron`s words: "NEXT!"

David.

Top Bottom