Is it ok to ask for extra charge for pet over rent/mnth in Ontario?

RArora

Registered
Hi

We have a couple who want to rent our home but have 2 dogs-1 a cocker spaniel and one a a 4 1/2 year old cocker spaniel and a 1 year mutt who`s mainly cane corso and is around 65 lbs.
We have said ok for small dogs in the home but the larger dog is a concern to us as we have hardwood floors on the main floor. Can I tell them there is a pet charge or the rent is $30 more per month for the large dogs? Im in Ontario, and can`t seem to find information about this on the websites for ontario landlords and tenants.

Thanks

RArora

Registered
***they have 2 dogs:- a 4 1/2 year old cocker spaniel and a 1 year mutt who`s mainly cane corso and is around 65 lbs.

Berubeland

Registered
I`m not sure why you`d want to do this. If these dogs cause damage 30$ per month is not going to cover it.

You can agree to whatever rent you`d like with your tenants before the lease.

In Ontario all "no pet clauses in leases are void"

I`m of the opinion that landlords who don`t allow pets are setting themselves up for a bit of a catch 22 situation. It`s no secret that the landlord can`t do anything if the resident has pets. The only people who will respect a landlord`s wishes not to have pets on the property are responsible people. Therefore you are eliminating the people who are more likely to be responsible pet owners. It`s the same with people who call on an ad that says no pets and asks if you could possibly accept a pet. You`ve already told them that you don`t so before the tenancy is started they are already pushing your boundaries. Not a good start.

The people that are the most likely to be responsible pet owners and respectful of yourself and the property are those that will not call.

Then if someone does convince you to take a pet they are more likely to be of the variety of people who do cause problems and damages. When I can I allow pets and I state it in the ad so that the responsible pet owners feel welcome.

housingrental

Registered
I think your setting yourself up for potential future problems
Price is $X
You can choose what $X is prior to renting property
Correct me if anyone has any rulings different but as far as I know you`re not supposed to offer rent for $X and offer $X+Y for a certain class of people like pet owners (or those with children, etc..)
Maybe a better strategy to market property at higher rate and advertise you accept pets?

PropertySolution

Registered
I simply add an Addendum to the lease to be in effect during the pets stay on the property. I do not charge any additional Damage Deposit because it is against RTA in Alberta. But I do charge an additional fee for each pet, type and size per month.

The issue of whether you should allow pets or not is ultimately your own but I do my applications as I would anyone else`s but pay particular attention to their personal cleanliness. Smell or excessive animal hair can be a very bad sign. I even have heard of some people who actually will go visit the prospective Tenant`s home before deciding... I can`t see myself needing "that" Tenant bad enough to go that far.

PS

I should clairify this, A Landlord cannot charge anymore than 1 month`s rent for a deposit no matter what they want to call it (in accordance with the RTA). I charge a full month rent for all my deposits.

PropertySolution

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jun 23 2010, 07:42 AM) .. as far as I know you`re not supposed to offer rent for $X and offer $X+Y for a certain class of people like pet owners (or those with children, etc..)...

Having pets or children is a personal life style option and not an inherited one like skin color or disability, these are human right issues. So you have an option to keep/do/have/lose the issue that is stopping you from obtaining a preference for residency.

housingrental

Registered
You are 100% incorrect
Try having that conversation with adjunicator in Ontario

QUOTE (PropertySolution @ Jun 24 2010, 02:37 AM) Having pets or children is a personal life style option and not an inherited one like skin color or disability, these are human right issues. So you have an option to keep/do/have/lose the issue that is stopping you from obtaining a preference for residency.

ontariolandlord

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jun 24 2010, 10:19 AM) adjunicator
It`s Adjudicator
, not adjunicator.

It`s very important in Ontario to cross your t`s and dot your i`s and get the terminology correct!!

The Ontario government takes these things seriously!!

housingrental

Registered
Thank you for the spelling correctionI don`t see the importance of this..... Generally your saying madame adjudicator... not writting notes to them...
Perhaps instead of specializing in persistent hate speech and self promotion you could try posting something positive and helpful?

QUOTE (ontariolandlord @ Jun 24 2010, 10:46 PM) It`s Adjudicator
, not adjunicator.

It`s very important in Ontario to cross your t`s and dot your i`s and get the terminology correct!!

The Ontario government takes these things seriously!!

ontariolandlord

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jun 25 2010, 08:12 AM) Thank you for the spelling correction
I don`t see the importance of this..... Generally your saying madame adjudicator... not writting notes to them...
Perhaps instead of specializing in persistent hate speech and self promotion you could try posting something positive and helpful?
Sure. However, when I rely on someone for my investments, my family`s investments, I want to make sure the person is educated and knows as much as possible.

I`m curious about your level of education, age, and years in the business. That would be `positive and helpful.`

Try not spelling correctly or not crossing your `t`s at the LTB.

housingrental

Registered
I`ve never improperly filled out a form

I trust there is no possible answer to your above, or any questions from you, that won`t result in hatred and criticism being directed from you.

Instead of playing spell checker for the forum why don`t you provide the same information you`ve asked of others? Not just re above but from all other posts you`ve seem to come into to attack other posters and not provide any meaningful content. So again - You think Barrie is a horrible place to invest (and apparently anyone who invests there should be subject to your abuse) - What area do you recommend someone looking to invest in Ontario choose? Why?

Perhaps you can share with the forum your recent purchases this year and last and what did/didn`t go as planned with them to provide perspective to other investors?

If you believe you have some expertise why not concentrate on utilizing it to help others?