Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is it possible tenant leases do not exist?

Nir

REIN Member
I was told there are no tenant leases signed between current owner and tenants in a multi plex i put an offer to purchase. is this possible? no contract with tenants? (the owner owned the property for 5 years and most tenants live there 3 years) THANKS

navaz

Registered
It is possible -talk to the tenants and get new leases signed up upon confirming damage deposit with the tenants

mrshort

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Dec 18 2007, 11:03 PM) I was told there are no tenant leases signed between current owner and tenants in a multi plex i put an offer to purchase. is this possible? no contract with tenants? (the owner owned the property for 5 years and most tenants live there 3 years) THANKS

It is possible, as alot of landlords don`t do the steps required. When I take posession of a new building with existing tenants and there are no leases or inspection reports, I meet with each tenant and tell them "it`s important for us to meet and get our paperwork in order", "your damage deposit has been transferred to me by the previous owner and if you move out while I am the owner, I want to make certain that you are able to get your proper refund". I then go on to do a walk-through report with them, and sign a lease. The lease can be for a fixed term or if they offer resistance, you can go month-to-month, and explain that a month to month lease will protect their rights and let both sides know what is expected from each as far as rules etc. I also proceed to write rental increase letters to the tenants I want out, or to the tenants that are below the current market, be fair in this regard, I usually only hit a maximum of a $100 increase depending on their current rate

DennisEpp

Registered
Very possible, and quite likely. But do have something signed absolving you of any tenant denying this. As a conditon of the purchase due diligence have written verification of security deposit/accured interst, current copy of any lease. I will/can effect your financing capability. Remember you may qualify for the mortgage, but does the property?

Dennis Epp

Top Bottom