Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is it really code or the plumbers are pulling a fast one?

NathalieLiuHiller

Registered
I called Action Auger the other day to unclog a drain from a suite which we never ever had plumbing problems with before. Unfortunately, the guy who painted the suite poured paint on the kitchen sink and clogged it up. He snaked it but the clog cam back again a month later.

So we called Action Auger and they came. When they came they were telling me how the PVC pipes need to have a cleanout under the kitchen sink. I was expecting them only to snake the pipe and unclog it but they were saying how installing a cleanout is now building code and must be done.

I have never heard of such a thing before. I have clogged drains snaked before and lots of times those didn't have cleanouts. If what this guy is saying is true, then every time I have a clogged drain, that same company needs to be installing a cleanout. I find it hard to believe.

Anyone with plumbing knowledge care to give me some feedback please? As far as I know, unless he needed to change the pipes or have new pipes installed, the old configuration shouldn't need to comply if it's even true that building codes require a cleanout for every kitchen drainage. It just doesn't make sense to me because I only told him to unclog the drain, not repair pipes... unless I am missing something.

Nathalie

MonteDobson

Registered
Hi Nathalie,

I am not sure about the code, but we built a home 3 yrs ago and it does not have a clean out trap. It is convenient to have but I do not believe it is code...but let's let the experts weigh in.

Pheenix

REIN Member
Hi Nathalie

It has been my experience that in general; unless it is a safety issue, change in use or a modification of the system in question (in this case the plumbing), that an up grade to code compliance is not required. (This assumes that it was code compliant at the time of the installation.)

One example of this is that the City of Toronto recently required back-flow prevention devices installed on the supply of water into industrial/commercial/multi-res buildings (considered a safety issue). A letter was sent to building owners at the time of the change.

MatPiche

Registered
Hi Natalie, I am a certified carpenter and have never heard of a clean out in the P-trap being a code requirement. However like Monte said, it is just a plus to have one as it makes it easier to clean out in situations like this. I would recommend replacing the P-trap and the pipes to the sink just for piece of mind as it is a cheap replacement and this should take care of the problem while sending a snake down the pipe when the P-traps off. Hope this helps!

NathalieLiuHiller

Registered
Thanks for the replies. We got the matter finally taken cared of. They admitted mistake and are refunding us the money. It certainly helps to know what should and shouldn't be done and when people are just there to make more sales...

Cheers everyone!

Top Bottom