Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is there a market for virtual tours?

Ryan

Registered
I`m really wanting Santa to bring me a Digital Camera for X-Mas with a purty 0-360 lense. Unfortunatly, Santa thinks I should have a business plan to justify the expense of the camera that exceeds "I think it`s purty" and "ummm.. I`ll take pictures of the kids" =)

All kidding aside, is there a Market in Edmonton and the surrounding areas for someone to make cost effective virtual tours that can be added to any webpage and hosted locally (on your page) or remotely (on my web space)?

Kind regards,

timk519

Registered
I got a Rebel XT DSLR a year ago Christmas, and I`ve been surprised at the number of doors having a camera can open. If you spend some time learning the craft, have a good body / lense, photography can help with property marketing as it can make the place look really good to the end user. Personally, I`m amazed at the crud that passes for some RE pictures I`ve seen, especially considering what`s possible with a little time and training.

Photography also helps you learn how to look at things, and notice facets of the image you may not`ve noticed otherwise - almost like you`re looking at the subject from someone else`s eyes.

The Rebel XT does a great job, and since it`s been out for a while you should be able to get it - and a copy of Adobe Lightroom - for under $1K. If you`re new to photography, then take a couple of courses on how to use the camera ($150), and the editing SW (maybe another $150), and you`ll have some skills and equipment that`ll last you a lifetime.

Grant

Registered
All the virtual tours that I`ve seen so far have been underwhelming. Your best investment is probably just a good digital camera as timk described, so that you can take good photos of your property to show it off. Virtual 360 tours can be kind of neat, but don`t offer much more (and sometimes are clunky or slow to load) than just regular pictures. So my advice: go with a good camera (digital SLR) if you want a toy like that, but don`t go for the 360 degree lens or anything like that.

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Photography has been a long time hobby, but was put on hold a number of years ago.

Three or four years ago I bought a small HP digital camera because I wanted to take shots of buildings and get them posted on the web. My SLR film camera went into mothballs with that purchase. But, my 1st digital camera has severe limitations... fixed focal length being the most obvious.

This past spring I swallowed my pride and bought a rather expensive SLR digital camera. The Canon 30D has 3000 buttons, I am sure, that I had no idea how to use. So, as recommended above, I took a course to learn what they all did. My next goal is to buy some software so that I can really manipulate the shots the way I want them.

I now have very good quality photos that I take of every property I develop an interest in. Photos for those I end up buying get posted online, or are inserted into my investment brocures and portfolio. If I want to rent a suite, I can go to my collection and post numerous shots of the suite.

Now to address your question about 360 deg... Royal LePage used to offer virtual tours. But, 360 deg virtual tours are rare to see today. I think most Realtors take one or two shots of their listings with reasonable results and post them online. I doubt you will be able to develop a market segment large enough to earn a living, if that was the intent of your question.

Having said that... using that expensive new camera for taking shots of your investments now makes that camera a tax deductible item.

Anonymous

Registered
QUOTE (timk519 @ Nov 22 2007, 08:45 AM)
I got a Rebel XT DSLR a year ago Christmas, and I've been surprised at the number of doors having a camera can open. If you spend some time learning the craft, have a good body / lense, photography can help with property marketing as it can make the place look really good to the end user. Personally, I'm amazed at the crud that passes for some RE pictures I've seen, especially considering what's possible with a little time and training.

Photography also helps you learn how to look at things, and notice facets of the image you may not've noticed otherwise - almost like you're looking at the subject from someone else's eyes.

The Rebel XT does a great job, and since it's been out for a while you should be able to get it - and a copy of Adobe Lightroom - for under $1K. If you're new to photography, then take a couple of courses on how to use the camera ($150), and the editing SW (maybe another $150), and you'll have some skills and equipment that'll last you a lifetime.

I would have to agree with you on a few points here! Firstly, if you're looking at bad pictures of a property (or any product), you won't be inclined to look to closely.

Something like a Rebel XT body will be great, but I would pass on the kit lens that normally comes with it - there's a reason they're almost the same price as just the camera body itself
<
. For indoor real estate pictures, you'll really want to have a fast lens (Big aperture - look for something around f/2.8), since it's hard to get enough light in certain areas inside, and you definitely don't want to ruin your pictures with the onboard flash. The other option for this would be to buy a separate flash, but the only way to use this effectively would be to diffuse it, which is a completely different story.

Wide angle lenses are always a plus, too, since it'll let you make the most of each picture you take and cram as much in - that being said, if you're going to be using this for family portraits etc, you don't want to just have one ultra wide-angle lens, since those have a habit of making people's noses pretty big
<

I'd also like to second the use of lightroom - it's a great program that can save poorly exposed or blown out pictures, not to mention the ways that it can enhance good pictures you've already taken (especially if you shoot in RAW mode and not regular JPEG), although it is a fairly large investment to make intially, and you may want to stave off until you seriously want to get into photography.

As for the virtual tour aspect... it's certainly possible, but I think you would find a lot more value in straight-up real estate photography: with a wide enough lens, you won't need to have to do the 360 degree tour, and I would much rather be able to click on a picture labelled "kitchen" or "living room" and check it out than navigate around a potentially clunky flash or java or whatever interface.

I do know that I would personally have a lot more confidence in a place if I were able to see clearly what was inside/outside of the building instead of a few grainy/blurry shots or nothing at all.

If you'd like to chat more, feel free to send me a private message
<

timk519

Registered
Ok, since we`re on the topic of photography, here`s some pics I took while investigating that 7K sq ft, $649K house in Grimsby. I wasn`t really "trying" with these pics, I just drove down there, took the shots, and then did a bit of postprocessing in Lightroom.

This is the road outside the house:

The driveway into the property:

further down the driveway:

This is the house:

which sits on a corner lot. This picture is from the road, looking at the backside of the house:

timk519

Registered
This has to be one of biggest mansions I`ve seen yet:

This is the "from the road view" of the first two shots:

timk519

Registered
So there you go, this was just me fooling around a bit in the late afternoon. Compare these images to some of what you see posted to MLS et al, and I think you`ll see another way to do the "extra 10%" other people aren`t doing.

EdRenkema

Registered
timk519,
Would either of these properties happen to be on Ridge Rd in Grimsby?

timk519

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Nov 25 2007, 08:24 PM)
Would either of these properties happen to be on Ridge Rd in Grimsby?
I'm don't think any of them them are. The in-the-works house is off Mud Rd, the other two - I'm not exactly sure where. I think the really big one's not too far from Mountain Rd, and the other one's somewhere between Ridge Rd and Mud St.

EdRenkema

Registered
Thanks, I live in the area and spend a lot of time driving or riding (I`m a competitive cyclist) on those roads. There are certainly some grandiose mansions in that specific area.

Top Bottom