Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

is this a fraudulent email?

Mystique

Registered
I have received an email from the UK for my rental property. I am not sure if this is fraudulent email. I have copied the email contents below. Has anyone else have received such an email? Or, am I being paranoid?
________
Dear Hari,Compliments to you and your family.

I want to first start by appreciating your timely response to my inquiry concerning your advertisement in the renting web site.

I am to arrive over there in Canada towards the ending of this month ,and yes i do want and have the forelook that i get a place set and ready for me and my family to move-in upon arrival,hence the search,i am coming for a research programme sponsored by Cannon courtesy of Arnu Misra he`s a very popular person in the health and fitness field here in the UK,he is extending to Canada in 2010 according to his word on my accomodation expenses;as soon as i have something nailed down with an owner,he would have words with his associate in Ontario to have things soughted with the expenses,so do alert me in your next email with every fundermental details of the monthly expenses of your place and move-in expectations.Following my bargains with him;upon my conclusions with you on something basic concerning the move-in as par the money due on deposit and security he would allege his associate in Canada to put accross to you what is needed fr you to hold the property for me.

Meanwhile my client said his friend may not be able to come and view the home so i would need some more pics if possible so i could really ascertain the condition of the place the more,so see if you can get some more for me here.

My family is coming over with me and so it is going to be me,my wife and my daughter,the three of us and no pets.My programme would be routed between three major Hospitals in Calgary and maybe you are familier with them;The Albertal Children Hospital,The Rockyview Genaral hospital Alberta and Foothill Medical Cantre.I would want the exact address of the property again so i can do some more map quests to really ascertain the exploits on the viccinity and i would want more details about the poeple in the neighboorhood and the level of crime in the community as well as the dominating behavioural acts of the people.

What extra facts would you have concerning this property and what relationship?

I would anticipate your email soon.

Regards.

Dr Jeremy

MonteDobson

Registered
Yep...big time. Any inquiries like this, hit the delete button right away!!

You can usually tell by poor grammar and spelling mistakes, and inquiries from out of country are a scam 99.9% of the time.

Regards,

Monte

KimFranz

REIN Member
I love the "the dominating behavioural acts of the people." That`s hilarious!!! Who talks like that???

Kim Franz

DennisEpp

Registered
QUOTE (Mystique @ Jan 17 2008, 01:15 PM) I have received an email from the UK for my rental property. I am not sure if this is fraudulent email. I have copied the email contents below. Has anyone else have received such an email? Or, am I being paranoid?
________

I want to first start by appreciating your timely response to my inquiry concerning your advertisement in the renting web site.

I am to arrive over there in Canada towards the ending of this month ,and yes i do want and have the forelook that i get a place set and ready for me and my family to move-in upon arrival,hence the search,i am coming for a research programme sponsored by Cannon courtesy of Arnu Misra he`s a very popular person in the health and fitness field here in the UK,he is extending to Canada in 2010 according to his word on my accomodation expenses;as soon as i have something nailed down with an owner,he would have words with his associate in Ontario to have things soughted with the expenses,so do alert me in your next email with every fundermental details of the monthly expenses of your place and move-in expectations.Following my bargains with him;upon my conclusions with you on something basic concerning the move-in as par the money due on deposit and security he would allege his associate in Canada to put accross to you what is needed fr you to hold the property for me.

Meanwhile my client said his friend may not be able to come and view the home so i would need some more pics if possible so i could really ascertain the condition of the place the more,so see if you can get some more for me here.

My family is coming over with me and so it is going to be me,my wife and my daughter,the three of us and no pets.My programme would be routed between three major Hospitals in Calgary and maybe you are familier with them;The Albertal Children Hospital,The Rockyview Genaral hospital Alberta and Foothill Medical Cantre.I would want the exact address of the property again so i can do some more map quests to really ascertain the exploits on the viccinity and i would want more details about the poeple in the neighboorhood and the level of crime in the community as well as the dominating behavioural acts of the people.

Regards.

Dr Jeremy

"the dominating act`s of the people" whew that is one mouth - full, do not respond as this is bogus. Also if u reply you will be automatically added to this person/machines phone list and you will only get more of the same and other forms of mail from the people they sell your "active" e mail address.

Mystique

Registered
Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate the power and insight of REIN members.
Hari
QUOTE (DennisEpp @ Jan 17 2008, 04:04 PM) "the dominating act`s of the people" whew that is one mouth - full, do not respond as this is bogus. Also if u reply you will be automatically added to this person/machines phone list and you will only get more of the same and other forms of mail from the people they sell your "active" e mail address.

clwenner

REIN Member
Yes it is - i get them all the time too - from being on craigslist i think.

DanHeon

REIN Member
QUOTE (Mystique @ Jan 17 2008, 01:15 PM) I have received an email from the UK for my rental property. I am not sure if this is fraudulent email. I have copied the email contents below. Has anyone else have received such an email? Or, am I being paranoid?
________

Regards.

Dr Jeremy

I am Dan`s assistant Erin. I too received this almost exact email today from this gentleman. He did however leave me a phone number so I called him today and we spoke quite extensively. He explained that he had research work in both Calgary & Edmonton and that his client (Arnu Misra) recommended that he find residence in Red Deer as it was between the 2 cities. I am curious about the motivation here if it is fraud. I did a google.uk search on Arnu Misra and he definitely exists and is who he says he is. Seems very interesting.

GKin

Registered
I too have received this response to my ad for a rental property in Calgary. I called the UK phone number and spoke to the man. And I e-mailed him additional information about the community and the designated school which his daughter would attend. When I received another e-mail this morning from him with information about his project here I did a search on Arnu Misra of Cannon - which is when this site came up with the question about possible fraud.

I too wonder what the motive would be for fraud here. He hasn`t requested any money - just information about the safety and general nature of the neighbourhood. I understood from our conversation that his project will be in three hospitals in Calgary - information which he readily gave on the phone. From the phone conversation I would say that the man has African origins - and in my (perhaps flawed) judgement - the responses reflect naivety rather than fraudulent intent? He e-mailed me back after I sent information. The replies certainly reflect struggles with the English language. My questions now are about the nature and funding for this project that he is apparently engaged in. More research required.

And since this is the first time I have been on this site - how can I judge the validity of posts here????

GKin

Registered
QUOTE (GKin @ Jan 31 2008, 10:53 AM) I too have received this response to my ad for a rental property in Calgary. I called the UK phone number and spoke to the man. And I e-mailed him additional information about the community and the designated school which his daughter would attend. When I received another e-mail this morning from him with information about his project here I did a search on Arnu Misra of Cannon - which is when this site came up with the question about possible fraud.

I too wonder what the motive would be for fraud here. He hasn`t requested any money - just information about the safety and general nature of the neighbourhood. I understood from our conversation that his project will be in three hospitals in Calgary - information which he readily gave on the phone. From the phone conversation I would say that the man has African origins - and in my (perhaps flawed) judgement - the responses reflect naivety rather than fraudulent intent? He e-mailed me back after I sent information. The replies certainly reflect struggles with the English language. My questions now are about the nature and funding for this project that he is apparently engaged in. More research required.

And since this is the first time I have been on this site - how can I judge the validity of posts here????

Just to update - if anyone is following this - I followed suggestions elsewhere on this site - sent an Application to Rent - asked for detailed information about references, contacts in Canada and the UK- details about this persons contract in Canada ($ provided etc.), contacts in the organization in the UK that was supporting him. And - I have received no response. Clearly - this is a fraudulent e-mail. I would like to report him to someone - if anyone has any suggestions - although I doubt that police have the resources to follow up something like this.

Brianrpaul98

REIN Member
This definitely fits the fraudster profile.

This looks like the first letter in a scam, and is known as a "Fishing" letter. Their goal is to engage people in a dialogue where they will tempt the "bait" with some offer that eventually plays on peoples greed. For example they might ask you to pay their moving expense or the like, up front.

In return they will promise to make you a juicy payoff upon their arrival along with a big convoluted sob story usually. They have no intention of paying you back or ever moving to Canada. They are probably sitting in a boiler room in Nigeria perhaps, where they work 8 hour shifts looking for people to engage and scam.

They used the word exploits in the letter, which is probably the only honest thing they speak about.

ddriedge

Registered
WE HAVE A RENTAL PROPERY IN CALGARY AS WELL. WE HAVE RECENTLY BEEN CORRESPONDING WITH DOCTOR JEREMY. BELOW IS A LETTER WE HAVE RECEIVED RECENTLY, ONE OF A NUMBER OF NOTES, THE FIRST ONE LOOKING VERY SIMILAR TO WHAT WE SEE ON THIS SITE. WE HAVE GIVEN HIM NO FINANCIAL INFORMATION, BUT HIS CONTACT FROM "ONTARIO" HAS GOT IN TOUCH WITH US VIA EMAIL WANTING ADDRESS TO SEND MONEY. IN DOING SOME FURTHER INVESTIGATION, AS I NOTICE A FEW OF YOU HAVE DONE AS WELL, WE NOTICE THAT THE COMPANY MENTIONED IS FOR REAL. iN PROCESS OF FURTHER IVESTIGATION WE STUMBLED UPON THIS BLOG WHICH HAS BEEN QUITE ENLIGHTENING.

SEE BELOWFURTHER FRAUDULANCE???

Compliments to you and your family.

Yes,everything sounds great,i would be very happy to rent from you i have read the few conditions and terms you have on the renting site and was alright with it before writing you my first letter.

To tell you some little about me and my practice,i studied,Peaudiatrics and i own a degree also in Science and Research/Discovery Methods in The University of North london,Bolton and the former is what is bringing me to Canada, i prefer to be called a Peaudiatrician but in practice i love the research/discoveries and prefer it to pure Medicine.

I am to arrive over there in Canada 8 of February possibly,and yes i do want and have the forelook that i get a place set and ready for me and my family to move-in upon arrival,hence the search,i am coming for a research programme sponsored by Cannon courtesy of Arnu Misra he`s a very popular person in the health and fitness field here in the UK,he is extending to Canada in 2010 according to his word on my accomodation expenses;as soon as i have something nailed down with an owner,he would have words with his associate in Ontario to have things soughted with the expenses,so do alert me in your next email with every fundermental details of the monthly expenses of your place and move-in expectations.

Meanwhile my client has acnowledged me that his friend may not be able to come and view the home so i would need some more pics if possible so i could really ascertain the condition of the place the more,so see if you can get some more for me here.

I would want an exact address again so i can do some more map quests to really ascertain the exploits on the viccinity and i would want more details about the poeple in the neighbourhood and the level of crime in the community as well as the dominating behavioural acts of the people.

What extra facts would you have concerning this property and above all its is going to be me,my wife(Aliza) and 8yrs old daughter(Sara)

Let me know something about the status of the furnitues of the property in specification, so i would know something.

I would anticipate your email.

Regards.

Dr Jeremy

Mystique

Registered
To me now it seems an obvious fraud especailly with his wonderful command over english language.

QUOTE (ddriedge @ Feb 5 2008, 08:52 PM) WE HAVE A RENTAL PROPERY IN CALGARY AS WELL. WE HAVE RECENTLY BEEN CORRESPONDING WITH DOCTOR JEREMY. BELOW IS A LETTER WE HAVE RECEIVED RECENTLY, ONE OF A NUMBER OF NOTES, THE FIRST ONE LOOKING VERY SIMILAR TO WHAT WE SEE ON THIS SITE. WE HAVE GIVEN HIM NO FINANCIAL INFORMATION, BUT HIS CONTACT FROM "ONTARIO" HAS GOT IN TOUCH WITH US VIA EMAIL WANTING ADDRESS TO SEND MONEY. IN DOING SOME FURTHER INVESTIGATION, AS I NOTICE A FEW OF YOU HAVE DONE AS WELL, WE NOTICE THAT THE COMPANY MENTIONED IS FOR REAL. iN PROCESS OF FURTHER IVESTIGATION WE STUMBLED UPON THIS BLOG WHICH HAS BEEN QUITE ENLIGHTENING.

SEE BELOWFURTHER FRAUDULANCE???

Compliments to you and your family.

Yes,everything sounds great,i would be very happy to rent from you i have read the few conditions and terms you have on the renting site and was alright with it before writing you my first letter.

To tell you some little about me and my practice,i studied,Peaudiatrics and i own a degree also in Science and Research/Discovery Methods in The University of North london,Bolton and the former is what is bringing me to Canada, i prefer to be called a Peaudiatrician but in practice i love the research/discoveries and prefer it to pure Medicine.

I am to arrive over there in Canada 8 of February possibly,and yes i do want and have the forelook that i get a place set and ready for me and my family to move-in upon arrival,hence the search,i am coming for a research programme sponsored by Cannon courtesy of Arnu Misra he`s a very popular person in the health and fitness field here in the UK,he is extending to Canada in 2010 according to his word on my accomodation expenses;as soon as i have something nailed down with an owner,he would have words with his associate in Ontario to have things soughted with the expenses,so do alert me in your next email with every fundermental details of the monthly expenses of your place and move-in expectations.

Meanwhile my client has acnowledged me that his friend may not be able to come and view the home so i would need some more pics if possible so i could really ascertain the condition of the place the more,so see if you can get some more for me here.

I would want an exact address again so i can do some more map quests to really ascertain the exploits on the viccinity and i would want more details about the poeple in the neighbourhood and the level of crime in the community as well as the dominating behavioural acts of the people.

What extra facts would you have concerning this property and above all its is going to be me,my wife(Aliza) and 8yrs old daughter(Sara)

Let me know something about the status of the furnitues of the property in specification, so i would know something.

I would anticipate your email.

Regards.

Dr Jeremy

garbonn

Registered
Just to ad my two bits worth. This email may be legit, but my personal opinion is that it isn`t. I personally dealt with an ad from out of country inquiring for rental accomodation. We bantered back and forth with the end result being that a bank draft was sent to me from an address in Ontario. The bank draft looked legit and was from BMO. Of course the amount sent was double what I required for first months rent and damage deposit.They were requesting that I return the over payment amount. I took the draft to BMO and asked them to verify that the draft was legit. They came back a week later that it was fraudulent. They also advised that in some cases it could take weeks or months to verify the draft. If one was to have followed the directions they would have sent out cash that could not be recovered. Personally I like to meet face to face with potential clients and verify from sources that I can confirm directly.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Here`s my email for the day from Kijiji. Notice she wants to pay upfront for 6 months to 1 year. Wow hey?

I Was living in Edmonton with my children ages 7-11-up until october, when my mother was diagnosed with cancer. I had to move back home to Inuvik NT to look after her. She is now passed and I am planning on moving back to the area with my family and my aunt. I was running a day home previously in edmonton and plan on doing it when I move back down. As far as income goes I have been left a fare amount of inheritance from my mother and would probly pay up front a 6 month to a year lease. If possible. I would be interested in renting to own as well. I do have a garneted monthly income from the government for aprox 1800 this is a survivors benefit that my 2 older children 13-15 get in regards to both my parents. you see my parents had adopted my 2 older children about ten years ago now that my mother has passed I have guardianship of them and they are entitled to these benefits` was making close to $3000 a month with the day home. my aunt as well she is a cook for Arctic oil and gas and makes about $4000-5000 a month. her company will be flying her back and forth to work. She will be living with me probly up to a year just to help me out with the kids and until I get settled once again. I will be starting our move south on the 20th of march so I will be in need of a place for april 1st. I had my children in catholic school when I was there last and hope to do this again. The house sounds perfect for us I hope that you conceder us and please feel free to contact myself any time through e-mail. We are leaving my daughters small house dog with family here in Inuvik because we are not sure were we will end up and a pet doesn`t always make things easy when you are renting.
sylvia

Al Verwey

Registered
As both a REIN member and a police officer in Ontario, and a landlord who has received similar emails (through gottarent.com, incidentally), I can tell you all to delete these types of emails as well as reporting them to the webmasters.

This is just a variation on many of the scams we all get in our emails. Essentially, they hook you with something that seems too good to be true - a share in millions of loot stashed in some African country, or a generous cut if you would only be their representative in Canada. They will send you a money order or bank draft which you are to deposit and then send them back a portion of it, keeping your "cut". Only, as another writer in this thread found out, it can take weeks for a forged draft to make its way through the banking system, but meanwhile, your legitimate draft has been cashed. Then, your bank comes after you for the bounced draft or cheque.

In my case, I received two similar letters from women, allegedly coming from Russia to take up residence in North Bay, Ontario, where I have a student property and that was to be their base from where she would travel across Canada or maybe look for work. In both cases, a mysterious uncle was to be paying the rent.

By following the REIN system and not offering to rent until a completed application is thoroughly screened, we can easily avoid being scammed.

rdnicolas

Registered
________

Regards.

Dr Jeremy

Some of these scam emails have even been automated. I`ve replied to one just with a period "." and got another long winded reply. I usually report them to the company I advertise with and they are able to block the email address. It doesn`t stop them but It might slow them down enought to prevent them from scaming other investors.

Regards,

Reggie

Top Bottom