Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Joist Not Supported, Twisted

Joan Lee Tu

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
I`m trying to purchase a property and looking for a recommendation to an issue noted by my property inspector.

"One of the joists is not supported on the main beam and another joist has twisted. The integrity of the joists have been compromised. Corrective measures are required."

"The main beam appears to be twisting and a metal adjustable post has been added for support"

My deadline to remove the property inspection condition is tomorrow. I haven't removed any conditions yet. Would you hire a structural engineer or anyone to come in and evaluate? One structural engineer said the cost of the structural engineer's report will be $400. But another structural engineer quoted me $2000 today just for the report!

By the way, the property is a foreclosure, e.g. as is where is.

kir

Registered
Is the floor level upstairs?

Hard to say, if you are nervous, hire a structural engineer or a really good contruction guy and extend the condition inspection timeframe siting your concerns to the seller.

Kir.

kir

Registered
A hump in the middle...So maybe a wall or part of the part of the foundation subsided....

You have to inspect the walls, floors, and look for cracks in the concrete, but hard to do with drywall on.

Basically, it would be wise to see what is causing this hump becuase it could get worse.

With a noticeable hump in the floor, installing new flooring would be difficult.

Good luck,

bizaro86

Registered
Are you getting a big enough discount to justify doing structural work, or is your plan to take this information and ask for a lower price? I very much doubt an engineer will give you a report the same day.

Regards,

Michael

Top Bottom