Just for Jack - Crisis? What crisis?

wgraham

REIN Member
Crisis? What crisis?
By Madelaine Drohan, Globe and Mail Update

OTTAWA — Canada may be in a political crisis, but it is not in an economic one. Why do so many people prefer to believe that we are
But the latest figures show the Canadian economy was still growing through the end of September, unemployment remains low and most forecasters are calling for a modest contraction next year, which while unpleasant is hardly a nightmare scenario.

Clearly there is something to be gained from saying we are in a crisis, even if we aren`t.

The political motivation is easiest to identify. The Liberals, New Democrats and Bloc Québécois could hardly say they wanted to topple the Harper government because it intended to cut their funding. That would look too self-serving to voters. Blaming the government for not reacting to a non-existent crisis is a much easier sell.

The Conservatives, meanwhile, started out dealing with the facts, insisting that the current situation did not call for extraordinary measures. This message was somewhat spoiled when they also tried to argue that hard times called for partisan cuts. By mid-week they`d given up all pretence of defending reality and were invoking the non-existent crisis as a reason that the country needed the stability only they could provide.

The only consensus among the warring politicians was on the supposedly dire state of the economy. There was a competition to outdo each other in misleading and irresponsible statements about where the economy was heading.

John F. Kennedy, the late U.S. president, once said that the Chinese character for crisis had two elements – danger and opportunity
. It is the latter that explains why many companies and indeed whole sectors are backing the crisis theory now.

The banks were in there early, calling for extraordinary government aid because of the impact on Canada of the global economic crisis. The Harper government is in the process of borrowing $75-billion dollars, ratcheting up interest-bearing debt in the process, in order to buy mortgages from the banks. Somehow this generous gesture on the part of Canadian taxpayers, who might well have wanted to spend the borrowed money on other things, has slipped below the radar.

The North American car makers also have their hands out, claiming they need help to survive the crisis, even though it has been clear for some time that they were in deep trouble of their own making. “Help us out of the hole we dug,” is not a winning argument when it comes to prying loose government money. So the crisis is invoked yet again, in both the U.S. and Canada.

The car makers are far from the only ones who gain from a crisis atmosphere. All those infrastructure projects that the federal and provincial governments have vowed to speed up mean extra work for engineering firms, designers, suppliers and builders. Who among them would dare mention at this delicate juncture that things really aren`t that bad?

Then there are the media. Alarmist headlines and stories are so much more fun to publish or broadcast, regardless whether they reflect the facts. Bad news sells, is the maxim. Journalists don`t like to think that they are selling a product, but their corporate owners are keenly focused on the bottom line.

That may not mean there is overt pressure to consciously slant coverage towards the negative. But every journalist worth his or her salt knows subconsciously that a crisis story is more likely to hit the front page or lead the broadcast than some namby-pamby item about things going better than expected.

This deluge of bad news and catastrophic predictions eventually seeps into the public consciousness, frightening people into spending less and saving more, thus helping to create a real crisis. That said, it was heartening to see an Ipsos-Reid poll this week in which 56 per cent of respondents said they thought doomsday predictions of severe recession in Canada were exaggerations.

There is still common sense to be found in Canada, just not among our political, business or opinion leaders.

Jack

Registered
QUOTE Canada may be in a political crisis, but it is not in an economic one. Why do so many people prefer to believe that we are?

Gee, I don`t know. How about:

-40% drop of the TSX (think that affects pensioners?)
-Stalled oilsands projects
-Hiring freezes
-Net job losses
-Probable budget deficits
-Inaccessibility to credit
-Battered manufacturing, lumber, and auto industries, resulting in either bailouts (read: long-term debt, inflation) or thousands of lost jobs
-Acknowledgement of economic crisis by virtually all political "leaders"
-GDP contraction forecasted

All that article`s doing is painting an overly rosy picture to try and save those who`s equity has been wiped out by the TSX`s collapse from jumping off of bridges. To say that we`re not in an economic crisis is hilarious. My dad was telling me the other day that he sold a fair share of stock after getting tired of hearing his IA saying that "things will get better soon" for pretty much an entire year, and now he has a pretty substantial capital loss carryforward as a result. Fact is, nobody really knows how this is all going to play out; but to just sit back and try and ignore it, in my opinion, doesn`t help much, either. Personally, I`d rather be informed than "positive".

Kinda like saying that if I watch The Secret and persistently pray for a Maserati, it`ll just magically show up on my driveway - any truth?

seanverret

Registered
QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 5 2008, 12:26 PM) Fact is, nobody really knows how this is all going to play out; but to just sit back and try and ignore it, in my opinion, doesn`t help much, either. Personally, I`d rather be informed than "positive".

Kinda like saying that if I watch The Secret and persistently pray for a Maserati, it`ll just magically show up on my driveway - any truth?

Kinda like saying that if you spend your entire day finding articles that keep you "informed", rather than "positive" you`ll attract things to you and your life that are "informed". But since your wording clearly implies that informed is an opposite to positive and therefore you`d rather be negative than positive - don`t you think it`s amazing that everywhere you turn you see something negative. Jack you only post negative - and only respond negative - isn`t it amazing? The law of attraction is working for you VERY CLEARLY and it`s so obvious.

The Law of Attraction works both ways - positive AND negative. If you don`t believe and ALLOW the positive to happen it never will for you. Moreover if all you believe is negative, that`s all you`re going to get. The Law of Attraction doesn`t know what to attract, it just matches the vibe you`re sending out. So the day a Maserati show`s up on your driveway will be the day you actually can remove all doubt and allow it to happen.

But since you`ll only find the negative in this statement, hands down you`ll never have that Maserati on your driveway... however in a few years, feel free to drop by my place and I`ll let you take a peak at mine.

RedlineBrett

Registered
On a lighter note, while we`re praying for cars to show up in our driveways I`d recommend staying away from Maseratis as the tranny`s are garbage
At least any of them prior to `07.

wgraham

REIN Member
QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 5 2008, 12:26 PM) Gee, I don`t know. How about:

-40% drop of the TSX (think that affects pensioners?)
-Stalled oilsands projects
-Hiring freezes
-Net job losses
-Probable budget deficits
-Inaccessibility to credit
-Battered manufacturing, lumber, and auto industries, resulting in either bailouts (read: long-term debt, inflation) or thousands of lost jobs
-

Again.....all of this and I still get my monthly cash flow.....still not seeing the problem. I certainly do see the problem in my Stock Account but not in my real estate. yes, the value of my places didn`t go up 50% this year....maybe they were even down a little but I haven`t sold a thing and have more than enough equity built up over time and on aquisistion that I realy don`t care if it fell 2% this year. It still beats the hell out of the TSX.

Whether they make an upgrader or not, spend money on infrastructure to spur the economy or not, have job loses in Ontario, won`t give money to people who don`t have credit/can`t afford it, or don`t cut down another tree..... I still have solid monthly cash flow that will continue for years to come. People still need to live somewhere....might as well be my place!

Don`t get me wrong these things do have an impact but most of it is psycolgical.......Do youself a huge favor and turn off the TV and the News Feeds.

My tenants are happy, my investors are happy, and I am happy.

W

wbullock

Registered
Crisis breeds opportunity, for those with the guts to do it, which is why we are all here.

There`s short-term crisis and long-term. Which is this? What`s your definition? One year, two years, five years? The point is that there IS financial crisis right now, and the problem is that nobody knows for how long. If we know the length of this crisis, then if wouldn`t seem so bad, would it?

My point behind this is that I`ve seen a lot of arguments on this forum about positive and negative articles and feedback. If you look at them both objectively, you start to get a picture about what`s really going on.

We all like to get positive articles and feedback, because it makes us feel as if we are accomplishing something. The odd negative article isn`t bad for us, if we look at it objectively.

Sean, I agree with you that Jack seems to put a lot of negative articles on this forum. But, do you really care if he has a Maserati in his driveway (or his 2006 Maserati drops the transmission)? Sorry, Jack, but I don`t. Keep posting your articles and your feedback...it`s up to me if I choose to read them.

Thanks,

Bill

thoyem

Registered
While there may be a lot of posting of negative news, it is good to know what is happening or forecast to happen out there. My properties all cash flow nice too and even better with interest rate cuts with variable mortgage. True enough law of attraction works and cuts both ways. During the supposed worst economic crisis of the century, I am in the process of working with my first joint venture partners. I have been sending out that message for months now and slowly but surely real estate related business is coming to me, in the most surprising ways. So a balanced view of the headlines is required. If all I read were the headlines I would never have done real estate. Thanks to REIN for deprogramming me with meetings and CD`s every month.

My 2 cents,

Todd Hoyem

VicChung

REIN Member
QUOTE (thoyem @ Dec 5 2008, 04:59 PM) While there may be a lot of posting of negative news, it is good to know what is happening or forecast to happen out there. My properties all cash flow nice too and even better with interest rate cuts with variable mortgage. True enough law of attraction works and cuts both ways. During the supposed worst economic crisis of the century, I am in the process of working with my first joint venture partners. I have been sending out that message for months now and slowly but surely real estate related business is coming to me, in the most surprising ways. So a balanced view of the headlines is required. If all I read were the headlines I would never have done real estate. Thanks to REIN for deprogramming me with meetings and CD`s every month.

My 2 cents,

Todd Hoyem

I work for a major oild and gas companies. I posted for a job for two months and I had 3 applicants. It is so hard to find the right candidate. The labor market is very tight

ChrisDavies

Registered
And it`s always important to take the good and bad news in the context of our neighbors to the south and the rest of the world.

piggy

Registered
buy buy buy buy...now is the time to be buying stocks. I am. You dont get many opportunities to buy stocks after such a huge sell off. you buy now, when fear is at maximum and the future is so unknown. Looking back at history, 30`s-70% market drop, 87 35% market drop, 2002-50% market drop. After the drop, they just climb back up.

now: 50% drop at least, emerging markets are worse.

we are not going into a depression
we will recover from the recession
life will go on, and
markets will go back up.

There may be inflation later, and other issues to pay the price for mneasures taken today.

there is something like 4 trillion in money markets at the moment, and when fear leaves and a little of the future is known, the US dollar will devalue and the stock markets will pop up big time-lead by the US (s&P500).

Have a look at XSP, that is what I have bought into big time.

cheers

Jack

Registered
QUOTE Again.....all of this and I still get my monthly cash flow.....still not seeing the problem.

So, essentially, what you`re saying is that you don`t care about anyone but yourself. Are you sure you`re from Canmore, and not Quebec City, perhaps?

Kinda ignorant to say that there`s nothing wrong with the economy simply because your portfolio happens to be be outperforming the market at this point in time. This is akin to me saying that there`s nothing wrong with the world, because I happen to live in a nice house, in a great country, I have a good job, a good family, etc. All is great! Who cares about things like apartheid, terrorism, famine, the nuclear arms race, political corruption in places like Cameroon, etc. As long as they don`t affect me
, why should I even read about them? They`re negative!

It`s just kind of a dumb thing to say, and you should ask some of the baby-boomers who are on the verge of retiring after 30 - 35 years of service to this country, and who have seen the value of their retirement plan
(read: the pool of funds that they`ve worked their whole life for) cut in half this year, if there`s an economic crisis.

Judi220

New Forum Member
Registered
. This is akin to me saying that there`s nothing wrong with the world, because I happen to live in a nice house, in a great country, I have a good job, a good family, etc. All is great! Who cares about things like apartheid, terrorism, famine, the nuclear arms race, political corruption in places like Cameroon, etc. As long as they don`t affect me, why should I even read about them? They`re negative!

I agree with you Jack.
Creating wealth gives me the opportunity to give BACK. Its actually selfish to LIMIT my earnings and CONTRIBUTING POWER.

Smitty

REIN Member
QUOTE Creating wealth gives me the opportunity to give BACK. Its actually selfish to LIMIT my earnings and CONTRIBUTING POWER.

Thank-you Judi.

I needed that reminder, especially this past few weeks. Don has talked about this on more than a few occasions.

Mike `Smitty` Smith

thoyem

Registered
Jack has a good point. There is so much wrong in this world for sure. Saying all is well is optimistic at best.
What I was saying in my last post though was: there is still much opportunity in even bad times. Also you tend to attract what you think about most of the time. During times of trouble there is still so much we can develop in ourselves as businessmen, investors, but let us never forget that we have so much in this land of Canada.
Giving back should be an integral part of our belief system even before we become successful. Giving truly makes us richer and gives us meaning. The investments will do well ( or not sometimes). We should still have an attitude of gratitude being in a country that offers so much. Could we sponsor a new foster kid for every new property we buy? Can we promise to give a % of our gains to our favorite cause? Let`s make it a better place( to the best of our ability) while we are building our business in an ethical manner. By giving we are attracting the true kind of success that money cannot buy.

Todd Hoyem

wgraham

REIN Member
QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 6 2008, 10:43 AM) Kinda ignorant to say that there`s nothing wrong with the economy simply because your portfolio happens to be be outperforming the market at this point in time. This is akin to me saying that there`s nothing wrong with the world, because I happen to live in a nice house, in a great country, I have a good job, a good family, etc. All is great! Who cares about things like apartheid, terrorism, famine, the nuclear arms race, political corruption in places like Cameroon, etc. As long as they don`t affect me, why should I even read about them? They`re negative!

Wow....I think you are grasping at best on this one. Can you please show me some trending numbers so that we can take some of your emotion out of this? Calgary in last 5 years and forecasts for the next 2: affordability index, vacancy rate, average rent, interest rate, median price and in-migration. These are the things that effect my investments. Not apartheid! You are missing the point and the point is this.....if I buy for cash flow and property values drop slightly for 2 quarters because of the world markets does it really effect me or my investments if I am in it for the long term? My answer is no....it doesn`t. They can print, and you can read, all of the doom and gloom they want but I will still run my business, make my money where I can and feel no shame in that what so ever. Yes, my strategies may change slightly from market to market but a good strategy will work in all markets....not just a boom. The world may be a very messed up place but how does this effect my real estate? Last I checked REIN was about Real Estate Investing and as much as the things you mention are horrible I don`t think that this isn`t the place for those discussions unless they effect our real estate.

This is a bold statement but I am going to make it: There is more money to be made by taking action in a recession than a boom if you are in it for the long hall.

QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 6 2008, 10:43 AM) So, essentially, what you`re saying is that you don`t care about anyone but yourself. Are you sure you`re from Canmore, and not Quebec City, perhaps?

This article doesn`t say that there is nothing wrong with the economy. It does say that it is blown out of proportion. I never said that I don`t care about anyone but myself either. What I did say is that these things don`t really effect my investments.....Big Big difference.

Here are some headlines that might have a negative effect on my real estate please let me know if you find them:

10 killed in NW Ranchlands home
LRT expansion delayed 10 years
Massive fire takes out NW Quadrant
NDP voted into Alberta
University of Calgary to shutdown
Oil no longer needed!
Down Town Core to Lay off 15% of work force
Calgary Mayor decides "no more riding the LRT"
Drug Use in the Hamptons at all time high - 2 Youth with Marry J
Cars now run on Water!

They sound kinda crazy don`t they but then again so does "Canada`s Employment Drops Like a Rock" when unemployment went from 6.2 to 6.3 across the country and actually declined in Alberta....hmm?

->QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 6 2008, 10:43 AM) It`s just kind of a dumb thing to say, and you should ask some of the baby-boomers who are on the verge of retiring after 30 - 35 years of service to this country, and who have seen the value of their retirement plan (read: the pool of funds that they`ve worked their whole life for) cut in half this year, if there`s an economic crisis
Here is another bold statement: If they don`t retire from this media/economic problem or lost 50% of their savings than when the TSX has only lost 40% YTD they had a faulty plan/execution in the first place and, while this is unfortunate, it has little baring on our real estate unless you are buying in Baby Boomer Retirement towns. In fact, this could be argued to be a good thing. It keeps them in the workforce longer and therefore doesn`t drive wages through the roof and unemployment through the floor and keeps inflation in check.

My father-in-law decided to go back to work because of fear in the media (not so much the reality of his financial situation). Again, this is a sad reality of todays media/economic situation but how does it effect your real estate? And the fact of the matter is that it is exactly these types of situations that make me take action and control of my own retirement. If I have no retirement income/savings when it comes time for me to retire it will because I failed and I messed up......not because some banker in NY was too greedy to do his homework between his 5 diamond meals.

I am certainly not saying that there are no economic issues and that these don`t have an effect on us but I don`t buy Canadian, Cameroon, or World Real Estate so these large sweeping articles are of little good use to REIN members. I feel for those who are loosing their jobs and those who can`t put food on the table but there are ways to make contributions to society and my real estate is definitely one of them.

So, one more time Jack, you can keep putting down everyone else`s plan but you have yet to state yours so that the rest of us can have the opportunity to call it brilliant, genius, "ignorant" and/or "dumb"......what are you doing
other than posting twisted half articles and getting all fired up over Cameroon? I want something to hold you to for the next 5 years......walking the walk or just talking the talk? What is your plan?

Happy Investing
Wade

PS in the future you may want to watch whom you call "ignorant" and "dumb".....they may be a hell of a lot smarter than this half witt.