Killz or Ozone or both?

Allie

Registered
Jan 15, 2011
I read previous threads on this topic but I still have questions. The baseboards of a 1100 sf. house smells like cat urine. I believe the previous resident had this problem for years so its hard to tell if the walls have even absorbed the odor. Would using an ozone generator be enough to solve this problem or would I need some Killz as well? I am unsure of how deep into the baseboards ozone generators will penetrate.

holymoly

Registered
Apr 21, 2008
Ontario
QUOTE (MatzoB @ Mar 26 2009, 08:27 PM) I read previous threads on this topic but I still have questions. The baseboards of a 1100 sf. house smells like cat urine. I believe the previous resident had this problem for years so its hard to tell if the walls have even absorbed the odor. Would using an ozone generator be enough to solve this problem or would I need some Killz as well? I am unsure of how deep into the baseboards ozone generators will penetrate.
I don`t have an answer to your exact question, but wanted to mention that when I was dealing with this issue, I think it made a big difference that I replaced the quarter-round at the bottom of the baseboards. Evidently the urine would flow down and get absorbed by the unpainted side/bottom surfaces of the quarter-round. I could see the `water` damage on specific sections of quarter-round, and those sections reeked. Repainting the quarter-round without removing it wouldn`t have changed the state of the unpainted sides that had soaked in the urine, and replacing it seemed to me to be a fairly low-cost option. Plus it felt great to get that stinky wood out of there and know it was gone forever. (I also replaced the laminate flooring.)

Savard

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary
Hello All,

I believe I have a cat urine problem in my main floor suite.
There are carpets the main floor is vacant.

Please advise me on what I need to do?

From the posts, I think this is what I need to try.

1. Get a black light and determine where the urine is.
2. Maybe replace the baseboards based on findings from black light.
3. Maybe replace the affected carpet and underlay.
4. Maybe use an Ozone machine for 2 days. Can I use this with a tenant in the basement?

Thanks for any advice.
Who should I call in Calgary to help with this??

John

mortgageman

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
Edmonton, Alta.
If you have odour problems call REIN member Mike Sunley. He owns odorzap.
His website is odorzap.ca and his cell number is 780.919.9494
He will travel to do jobs so perhaps he`ll go to Calgary for you.

dplummer

Registered
Sep 19, 2007
Collingwood, ON
Savard is on the money! The black light will certainly help you locate the area`s of contamination. Soak the identified area`s with a good urine contamination solution. This can be purchased at a quality janitorial supply outlet. Seal with a product like Kiltz. Ozone will work. BE CAREFULL with Ozone. We are using Odorox Hydroxyl Generators. They are safer.

Doug