Kitchen Cabinets-Stain or paint?

Allie

Registered
Jan 15, 2011
My cabinets are from 1972. The wood looks dry. My paint quotes to get them painted are about $700-$1000. Would staining them be cheaper? I have never painted or stained cabinets before. Should I attempt to do any of this by myself? While I`m on the topic, there are lots of stains in the drawers and cabinets. Would TSP work well?

barb

Registered
Sep 4, 2007
London, Ontario
QUOTE (MatzoB @ Mar 29 2009, 12:50 PM) My cabinets are from 1972. The wood looks dry. My paint quotes to get them painted are about $700-$1000. Would staining them be cheaper? I have never painted or stained cabinets before. Should I attempt to do any of this by myself? While I`m on the topic, there are lots of stains in the drawers and cabinets. Would TSP work well?

Hi there. I hope this helps. Tsp is one of the best cleaners I`ve come across for cleaning dirt, smoke and grease!! I purchased a rental property which was disgustingly dirty. I washed the cabinets with tsp and then I filled and sanded the hardware holes. They were for handles and I wanted to use updated knobs. I painted all the surfaces with primer first. Once that was dry, I panted the cabinets with white paint (specifically for cabinets!!). They looked amazing!!

For yours, I would suggest a light sanding first followed by a cleaning with tsp. (That is a necessary step in this process). Try priming and painting the inside of one door first to see what sort of results you achieve. Best of luck to you.