Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Landlord Tenant Rules Ontario

marilyn

Registered

I have a 6 plex in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. One of my tenants has been in his unit 23 years. He installed a washer/dryer before I bought the building. My manager tells me he has run into problems in other buidings with plumbing from these situations. Also, I supply coin washer /dryer in basement.
Do I have any rights to tell him he can`t have the washer/dryer in his unit?

Also, he runs an airconditioner in summer. I pay electricity and this increases my costs substantially for the summer months. Can I recoup the difference in utilities from him?

Marilyn

thejules

REIN Member
I beleive that if you take out his washer and dryer you have to lower his rent by a certain amount. And if his air conditioning is really increasing your expenses you can apply for an increase in rent, but I don`t think that it would be very much. You should call the Landlord Tenant board in your area. You region is the Sudbury region.

Ontario Landlord and Tenant Board
Sudbury - Northern Regional Office
199 Larch Street, Suite 301
Sudbury, Ontario P3E 5P9
Fax No. 705-564-4118 or 1-866-410-1399

http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/index.html

I hope that helps...

InvestagainInc

Registered
QUOTE (marilyn @ Feb 8 2009, 09:16 AM)

I have a 6 plex in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. One of my tenants has been in his unit 23 years. He installed a washer/dryer before I bought the building. My manager tells me he has run into problems in other buidings with plumbing from these situations. Also, I supply coin washer /dryer in basement.
Do I have any rights to tell him he can`t have the washer/dryer in his unit?

Also, he runs an airconditioner in summer. I pay electricity and this increases my costs substantially for the summer months. Can I recoup the difference in utilities from him?

Marilyn

Marilyn,

You have a very unique situation on your hands. Hopefully the other tenants don`t catch onto this and install their own W/D and A/C as well or your utility bills will skyrocket.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do if you are including utilities aside from going to the tribunal and making a case to increase rents above the guideline due to increased utility costs. You will also need to provide history showing the increase from at least three years and prove that it has increased over the normal amount.

Check with the tribunal and see what they say, but it might not be worth the time or money for just one unit.

Hope this helps.

Kimberly

Registered
Marilyn:

I have a few lines in my lease that state..."The Tenant shall not use any appliance in addition to those supplied by the Landlord including, without limited the generality of the foregoing, any dishwasher, air-conditioner, washing machine, clothes dryer and refuse compactor, without first obtaining the written consent of the Landlord and with those appliances adding to the costs of utilities inclusive of the rent, then paying to the Landlord the required charge for the use thereof. "

Can be used in any future leases/releases... may be challenging to enforce on current leases.

Top Bottom