Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Landlord Tips from a Tenant`s Perspective

2ndstory

Registered
5 Tips For Finding A Good Landlord

posted-icon.gif
Posted: May 26, 2011 10:32AM by Linsey Knerl
a-prospective-homeowner-countdown.jpg

[/i])

TUTORIAL: Mortgage Basics

1. Try for Transparency

It's preferred that your landlord be honest, but being transparent is even more desirable. "Being transparent about the rental property is perhaps the most important quality," acknowledges Paul Gleger, director of communications at HotPads.com. He notes that being upfront about the details of a rental unit matters, citing things like strange temperature fluctuations, cell phone reception issues, and rodent problems as examples of rental concerns that you should want to know about.

2. Find Flexibility

While it may be written in your contract that payment is due by a certain hour on the due date, or that it must be sent through the postal mail, it is nice to rent from a landlord that can work within real life obstacles, should they occur. No one is suggesting that you pay your rent late, but a flexible landlord can meet you on your terms should an emergency(such as hospitalization) arise. In addition, making the rent due on the fifth of the month, rather than the first, for example, can help those with monthly paychecks get in a short grace period and it is a sign of a landlord that will work with you.

3. Pick Promptness

Almost all landlords will require promptness on your part, especially concerning payment or lease renewals. Can you say the same for your landlord? If the landlord or management company can't ensure a quick turnaround on maintenance calls, for example, you might want to shop around for another rental unit. Get the potential landlord to commit to an expected time frame for addressing concerns, especially those that could make a unit uninhabitable (flooding, security issues, noise), and consider their plan of action when deciding on your new place.

4. Choose Customer-Focused

It doesn't matter how high-end the unit is you're considering, the landlord should understand that the client is their reason for being in business. Brian M. Estey, licensed real estate agent and property owner, warns of the "Mister Fancy Pants" landlord, and reminds renters that landlords can't simply command respect. He shares the analogy of the ideal landlord being more like your favorite bartender: "They leave you alone when you don't need them, and they perform quickly and efficiently when there's a task at hand." If your potential new landlord doesn't feel that the customer is always right, you're better off looking for a fresh property. (Investing in rental property can generate serious income, but there's more to it than collecting rent. See Tips For The Prospective Landlord.)

5. Consider Community-Minded

The best landlords will go one step further to provide a potential tenant with the feeling of being "at home" in their new unit. Paul Gleger tells of the best landlords taking the time to introduce the tenant to the neighbors and show them around the neighborhood. By pointing out important spots like the grocery store, bank and dry cleaners, a tenant can imagine themselves staying in a location for a long time, and a feeling of goodwill with the new landlord is established right away.

The Bottom Line

There's more to a perfect place than custom cabinets or a convenient distance from your office. If the landlord is a turn-off, even a short-term lease can feel like a long-term hassle. Investigating the landlord can give you clues as to whether the property will work for your unique situation.

invst4profit

Registered
This article is for the most part fluff. Although high end units may attract tenants with "needs" that landlords should be aware of and expect to address in a interview the majority of tenants live in the real world. They want to know how much the rent is, when it is due, if there is a washer and dryer and for the rest they generally already know everything about the area the unit is in.

For my part I am completely transparent with applicants. I read through the complete contract giving clear examples of each line and informing them of the enforcement policy for infractions. When I am done I tell them I like to treat people very well and will work as hard as possible to create a good professional relationship but that my treatment depends on tenants respecting my property and my rules.

No the customer is definitely not always right and will need to be informed of issues swiftly so as to correct any bad tenant habits they may have developed with there previous landlord.

Policies in Ontario are enforced the same for all tenants. If you pay late you get the "notice" no exceptions. I will explain the situation to good tenants in a friendly understanding manner as I always deliver the notice in person. Tenants that repeat or develop a poor relationship get the notice and are reminded of the administrative fee. This business to me is about collecting rent on time and good responsible tenants know that going in. Same notice, different relationship.

Generally speaking tenants should know what to expect from our relationship by the end of my interview and pass if they are not comfortable. When a tenant passes I am relieved knowing I probably dodged a bullet and if they accept my offer I can only hope they listened to what I had to say.

In my experience I have always created excellent relationships with what turn out to be good tenants as I always go the extra mile to make them happy. I also go the extra mile for bad tenants directly to small claims court if necessary.

Regrettably in Ontario almost every notice to a tenant reads "eviction".

When I do run across a tenant with a list of needs, wants and desires like those listed I can quickly identify them as "high needs" and just as quickly pass on there application.

Definitely a article directed to the world of very high end rentals but not applicable to joe tenant/joe landlord in my opinion.

georgefung

Registered
Fluff or no fluff, the sole fact that this article is targeted to and read by tenants and prospective tenants makes it worthwhile to keep in mind. I think we all know individuals who believe everything they read on the internet, so there will certainly be some tenants out there who will consider these points as they search for their next place to live. I'm not saying that we, as landlords, should consider this article as gospel... I haven't managed properties long enough to fully debate the content of the article. I just think that this is just another possible insight into the minds of our clients (tenants), which we can possibly consider when running our business.

Still a good read, nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing.

George

Top Bottom