Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lawyer charges me late interest on closing

alexmaz

REIN Member
I closed on a newly built condo in Alberta on Aug 29.
All documents were sent and faxed from Toronto on and before that date.

Later, lawyer charges me ~250$ late interest on closing.
The official closing was on Aug 29, but the deal wasn`t actually closed until mid-September.
The ~250$ was late interest the lawyer`s firm had to pay to the developer in order to close the transaction.
I do not know what caused the delay.

I`m not sure whether I should I pay, or not ? I`m dealing with the lawyer first time.
Curiuos if other people have been in similar situation, and how they handle it.

Thank you in advance,
Alex

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (alexmaz @ Nov 26 2008, 03:19 PM) I closed on a newly built condo in Alberta on Aug 29.
All documents were sent and faxed from Toronto on and before that date.

Later, lawyer charges me ~250$ late interest on closing.
The official closing was on Aug 29, but the deal wasn`t actually closed until mid-September.
The ~250$ was late interest the lawyer`s firm had to pay to the developer in order to close the transaction.
I do not know what caused the delay.

I`m not sure whether I should I pay, or not ? I`m dealing with the lawyer first time.
Curiuos if other people have been in similar situation, and how they handle it.

Thank you in advance,
Alex
that is VERY common .. I am surprised it is only 250 .. usually it is prime + 3% or so .. usually it is in the contract actually ! Keep in mind that you also SAVED as your mortgage started later ! So you may be ahead .. or it is a wash !

Nir

REIN Member
Yes, you should pay. Your mortgage is around $130K, right?

GarthChapman

Registered
You paid interest to the Developer instead of paying to your Banker on the mortgage.

Although if the late closing was caused by the Developer I`m thinking you might not have to pay it. Ask your lawyer about this.

alexmaz

REIN Member
Thank you guys. I`ve never thought that I actually saved a few bucks. My mortgage is 139K.

Thanks again,

Alex

Top Bottom