Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lease options...many questions

Debbie

Registered
Hello,

I have come up with several questions on structuring lease options and would greatly appreciate any advice. Here goes...

-many investors allow their tenant buyers to exercise their option at anytime in the term. But if I have a fixed mortgage then I will incur a mortgage payout penalty. Do you pass this cost onto the buyer via the contract, or take an open mortgage at a less favorable rate?

-how do you determine rent and monthly lease option payments? Market rent on a single family home is typically negative cashflow.

-do you collect a security deposit with your lease in addition to the option deposit?

Thanks,

Debbie

markl

Registered
Hi Debbie,

While you do not want to dissuade your tenants from optioning early they have to understand that your incur extra costs to do it. I try to get my exact same % return I would have gotten if they had went to term. Of course this is less $$ but it gives me the money to reinvest sooner.

This is determined by how much of a down payment your tenants provide and the return your looking for on your capital and the desirability of your property. We use $750 - $850 per $100k of purchase price for rent. This works on a tenant first deal but sometimes not so well on property first deals.

We are in Ontario so therefore cannot do that anyhow but our deals in Alberta we have not. I would be interested in hearing from other people doing LTO`s in Alberta to see if they do.

Regards,

Top Bottom