Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lease-to-own bad press

neilds

Registered
I have not done any of these deals yet, but for any members active in this field, and who might not have read yesterdays Toronto Star, here is an article which made the front page of the Saturday Star. Hopefully this will not scare away any deals you may currently be working on.

http://www.thestar.com/article/498670

willy

Registered
sad.

should`ve hired a lawyer before signing anything.

can i be the first to say it?

Due diligence.

b

hazed

Registered
Thankfully, REIN members can pride themselves on being honest, forthright and having the integrity to not be out scamming others. Good business people find winning solutions for all, and would not be relying on the ignorance or misfortunes of others to make a buck. I think those of us in the lease-to-own niche are very up-front with our clients in advising they seek their own legal advice. At EZ Properties Ltd. we align them with a mortgage broker or debt counsellor who can provide some assurance they are able to succeed in exercising their Option to Purchase; all Option Deposits and lease payments go to the owner (100%), and the Option Agreement is registered with Land Titles, giving the tenant some needed security. We never tell or give the impression to the clients that we are the owners of the property. The Agreement is between them and the REAL owner. This story just wreaks of bad business practice, and immoral tactics that we have to separate ourselves from and re-assure our clients that this is what we are NOT about!

ohsofrugal

Registered
I don`t think this will scare off too many people. Individuals looking to rent to own have a genuine desire to be homeowners and lease to owns (if done properly) can still help them achieve that. Sounds like this was a sandwich lease option gone terribly wrong. If anything, I hope something like this will make people more apprehensive and encourage to to complete due diligence and seek independant legal advice.

Top Bottom