Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Leases...younger tenants

dsluchin

Registered
Hi!
Looking for some advice about renting to younger tenants (19). Does anybody have any suggestions about adding a parent to a lease if this has been agreed upon? How to do this properly? Is there another form? Other details I might need to know. Is this even a good idea?
I really appreciate your consideration, Deanna

NorthernAlex

Registered
You could add the/a parent(s) as a lease guarantor. I was thinking to do that, but got an older tenant.

I just googled it (see here) and found the second hit, a word document, quite interesting.

housingrental

Registered
Yes Alex is correct you can add as a guarantor and this is regularly done in student housing.

TomRebstock

Registered
I have all students have at least one parent to co-sign always.

That way all parents are:

informed
approve
financailly co-responsible

Tom Rebstock
5 homes

OlegP

Registered
QUOTE (dsluchin @ Mar 21 2009, 08:40 AM) Hi!
Looking for some advice about renting to younger tenants (19). Does anybody have any suggestions about adding a parent to a lease if this has been agreed upon? How to do this properly? Is there another form? Other details I might need to know. Is this even a good idea?
I really appreciate your consideration, Deanna

It is a common practice to ask for parental guarantee. Without it you are running a much higher risk of default - plain and simple. I can attest to that both as a landlord and as a credit risk manager for a major bank. Young people always default at a much higher rate than more mature individuals. The same, by the way, is true for renters vs. homeowners.

trev

Registered
I agree.
Always get a co signer for a student
Usually for anyone that young

And if their parent won`t co-sign? Think hard.... Their parents probably know them pretty well and have good reason not to co-sign.
I have even used co signers for more mature tenants. Maybe they have good job but bad credit / recent bankruptcy. As long as I have someone to go after, I feel OK.
Just make sure you do the full screening on everyone.

Top Bottom