Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Legality of 4-plexes in Edmonton

nepoez

Registered
Hi all, It`s me rookie again.

I would really like to continue investing in Edmonton, especially if prices are going to drop more in 2009. Single family dewllings in Edmonton is out of the question for cash flow so I`ve started looking for more doors under one roof as of late.

My partner and I were looking into "4-plexes" Which were mostly left-right duplexes each with a secondary suite down stairs, hence two suites on each side = 4 suites. Many of these have separate entrances. However, we`ve also been told that these units are mostly not legal and there`s the chance of the city evicting the tenants and so we backed out of the deal and went for a house with a legal secondary suite(2 doors under 1 roof). It does not cash flow like the 4-plex.

Garth had pointed me to check out the Safe Housing Committee of Edmonton and I`ve taken a look. However, I don`t feel that I know what to take action on. Would calling an inspector from the city and approving the building as legal or safe, be sufficient for me to purchase it knowing my tenants won`t be evicted?

If any one here has experiences in "4-plexes" in Edmonton please help a rookie out! I`m not sure where to start in regard to solving my concern.

Thanks,
Nepoez

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Hi

When I owned two four plexes in Edmonton, my long time commercial realtor and I always checked the zoning to make sure all suites were legal. You could call the City of Edmonton as a general inquirer and not give your name or the exact address, just the street intersection to make sure, like "I`m thinking of buying a four plex around X Street and Y Avenue. Would all four suites be legal?"

We all started as rookies, so ask away!
Happy New Year!
Margaret

QUOTE (nepoez @ Jan 1 2009, 08:23 PM) Hi all, It`s me rookie again.

I would really like to continue investing in Edmonton, especially if prices are going to drop more in 2009. Single family dewllings in Edmonton is out of the question for cash flow so I`ve started looking for more doors under one roof as of late.

My partner and I were looking into "4-plexes" Which were mostly left-right duplexes each with a secondary suite down stairs, hence two suites on each side = 4 suites. Many of these have separate entrances. However, we`ve also been told that these units are mostly not legal and there`s the chance of the city evicting the tenants and so we backed out of the deal and went for a house with a legal secondary suite(2 doors under 1 roof). It does not cash flow like the 4-plex.

Garth had pointed me to check out the Safe Housing Committee of Edmonton and I`ve taken a look. However, I don`t feel that I know what to take action on. Would calling an inspector from the city and approving the building as legal or safe, be sufficient for me to purchase it knowing my tenants won`t be evicted?

If any one here has experiences in "4-plexes" in Edmonton please help a rookie out! I`m not sure where to start in regard to solving my concern.

Thanks,
Nepoez

seanverret

Registered
Get in touch with city regarding secondary suites - Jan 19th there is a meeting that might make ALL RF1 properties "eligible" to have a secondary suite.

nepoez

Registered
Get in touch with city regarding secondary suites - Jan 19th there is a meeting that might make ALL RF1 properties "eligible" to have a secondary suite.

DennisEpp

Registered
When checking the Zoning, do not rely on Standard Tax search, get an actual person on the phone and ask. Many times changes to areas are made and for reasons unknown they do not show up on the web site for the city, worse yet even when a Realtor searches thru their access site. I have encounter more than a 6 month delay for the info to be accurate. Get a real person on the phone and ask if their is any doubt, sometimes a pleasant surprise.

example 4 homes in Edmonton in a row, according to all searches it states RF4, when verified by live phone the property is now zon ed RA8!! If u are tearing down this really increases the price by at least double on the land alone.d

Allie

Registered
I always thought Edmonton had a don`t ask, don`t tell policy to secondary suites unless someone complained. Would a 4 unit duplex in the university district be less vunlerable to basement tenant evictions? There is suffiient parking on the property so that no tenant has to park on the street. The duplex is zoned RF3. Are secondary suites a problem for this property?

nepoez

Registered
I found out that the city will assess the property on a case-by-case basis.

QUOTE (MatzoB @ Jan 10 2009, 04:03 PM) I always thought Edmonton had a don`t ask, don`t tell policy to secondary suites unless someone complained. Would a 4 unit duplex in the university district be less vunlerable to basement tenant evictions? There is suffiient parking on the property so that no tenant has to park on the street. The duplex is zoned RF3. Are secondary suites a problem for this property?

Nir

REIN Member
Hi Nepoez, Zoning is important but not enough. For example I recently found a 4-plex was located in an area defined as a flood plain. so although zoning was R3 allowing 4 units, the basement was... that`s right illegal! I left it for more motivated buyers

However, I am interested to know if most investors investing in Plexes consider only Legal Use properties or do they consider non-legals too(?) Cheers.

nepoez

Registered
My guess is that many people here are renting out illegally hence the lack or replies. I`m not willing to take the chance with gray areas. I`ll have to go through all the proper channels and have a plex approved by officials before I move forward with one.

QUOTE (investmart @ Jan 11 2009, 10:24 PM) Hi Nepoez, Zoning is important but not enough. For example I recently found a 4-plex was located in an area defined as a flood plain. so although zoning was R3 allowing 4 units, the basement was... that`s right illegal! I left it for more motivated buyers

However, I am interested to know if most investors investing in Plexes consider only Legal Use properties or do they consider non-legals too(?) Cheers.

Nir

REIN Member
so are you saying no one answering my question is actually answering my question!? Cheers

Top Bottom