Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lenders who play by the 1.1 rule?

derrick1032

Registered
Hello, I am currently in the process of attaining my third revenue property and I am seeking a lender in the Calgary area who will play by the 1.1 rule that I've read about in Dons books. I am not at my debt service wall yet, but after this one I will be and figured I would try to build a relationship with a lender ahead of time.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Derrick

2ndstory

Registered
Don's books are great, but they are outdated on some points since the lending rules change. No lenders follow that rule anymore.

Nik

RArora

Registered
We've dealt with Jas Grewal at Calum Ross who helped us get financing for 4 townhomes. we've never met him face to face but he and his team have always got us what we need-or better actually sometimes.

contact him via his assistant Renee at [email protected]

they mainly handle investors too so would be a great place to start.

RobMacdonald

Registered
[quote user=derrick1032]Hello, I am currently in the process of attaining my third revenue property and I am seeking a lender in the Calgary area who will play by the 1.1 rule that I've read about in Dons books. I am not at my debt service wall yet, but after this one I will be and figured I would try to build a relationship with a lender ahead of time.

Firstline was and is the only lender that used the 1.1 rule. They still have the policy, but it has undergone many changes and now is quite restrictive. Most applications through Firstline now will require 25% to 35% down as they only use a 25 year amortization on the subject property.

If you are not at your debt service wall now, then there is no reason that you should be later if you keep buying positive cash flow properties. Many lenders will use a 70 or 80% offset on your portfolio, so if you're putting 20% down as you add a property, your income actually goes up.

The key to long term success is knowing the right lenders to use and when. If you'd like to discuss your options give me a call. I'd be happy to review your portfolio and help you build a long term strategy.

derrick1032

Registered
thanks for the responses guys, this will help my decision making in the next steps I take towards real estate success.

derrick

kboughen

REIN Member
Although the FirstLine 1.1 rule in Don's book has changed, many Lenders still do look at the 1.1 evaluation once you have 3 properties. The key difference is that some Lenders want more than 1.1 now. Some want minimum liquid asset requirements, some want minimum net worth requirements and others will reduce amortization or increase down payment. However, in my experience the 1.1 evaluation is still an important part of an investors mortgage strategy and I encourage investors to keep it in mind from the very first purchase.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
1.1 is tight debt coverage .. but it does exist .. for both MF and single family (SF) homes/condos/townhouses !

In multi-family 1.25 is more common today. 1.1 exists for pristine assets in big cities with 10 year locked-in fixed rate mortgages .. 1.25 to 1.3 for more average buildings and 1.5 in small towns.

Top Bottom