Lets talk appreciation....

seeu22

Registered
Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys and Gals,

Over in the members section Thomas posted a linear regression that he did. Over the past 50 years Calgary has seen an appreciation rate of 5.94%. Extrapolating from the existing data would suggest that 6% is a reasonable expectation for appreciation in the next 50 years as well. Is using this past performance an accurate way to predict future economic trends?

I think we need to look at what was the driving force behind past appreciation before we can assume any future gains.

What was it that drove Calgary housing prices upward?

The usual suspects like a strong economy, inmigration, supply and demand, increasing household income, interest rates, etc. REIN does an excellent job of analyzing these fundamentals.

There are other things that have contributed to the price increases as well.

Over the past 50 years we have shifted from primarly single income households to dual income households. This shift has definately affected housing affordability, but how much of the 5.94% can we attribute to this trend. Unless we start practicing polygamy I would say that this trend can be taken out of future growth projections.

The introduction of new mortgage products such as longer amortization periods and high ratio mortgages increase housing affordability. The contribution that mortgage products can make to housing affordability is pretty much maxed out. If you look at amortization tables you will see that from 15 year to 30 year amortizations you see a significant reduction in the monthly payment as the period increases. After 30 years the monthly savings from a long amortization period pretty much flatlines. Increasing amortiztion periods will not increase affordability anymore.

I would like this post to stimulate a discuss on appreciation rates. I know the two factors I mentioned above have influenced past appreciation. To what extent? Are there new factors appearing on the horizon that might skew the appreciation curve?

Discuss.

Neil

housingrental

Registered
Oct 10, 2007
Waterloo
I wouldn`t assume past appreciation is a good indicator. During that time inflation was higher (who knows though) than future 50 is expected.

Always a guess that far out in time but on AVERAGE best to assume appreciation will be between:

inflation level - 1% to inflation + 1%

Add slightly higher + if area has major barriers to entry for new housing (geographic features? zoning restrictions?)
Of course who knows for any local area 50 years out re population growth/decline - 7 mile island? - water issues? etc..

Assume inflation will stay HIGH !!

Inflation is the best indicator of an "average" appreciation .. and some areas have higher appreciation than that (say growth areas of Top 10 towns) .. and some will have less or depreciation due to folks leaving or being unable to afford places !

However, lending will be tighter, and more expensive ... deleveraging is the name of the banking game right now .. so more cash required to buy a property ..

a 3rd factor is construction cost

Expect prices to be flat to falling for 2-3 more years unless you bought low enough .. and then to rise again .. you must have income to thrive in this game .. i.e. to hold for at least 3 years ...

Aug 31, 2007
North Vancouver
There is no question that we will have inflation for the next few years, The Fed is going to have to print money to help pay for the $700 Billion Rescue Package that has just been approved. The European Community is also considering various options to rescue its financial sector. Those things alone are going to add inflationary pressures to the global economy.

And, again, I think Thomas has hit another nail on the head.