Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

live in t.o, want to invest in Calgary

Kennyk171

Registered
Im interested in investing Calgary, but i live in Toronto. What would be a good strategy to start with seeing as i do not know a soul out there. Do i joint venture or start team building? im only looking at single family homes. Is this worth the risk or should i stick to the surrounding Toronto areas?

Thank you

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
There are some good areas in which to invest in Ontario, but knowing the Alberta investment climate and landlording rules I certainly see the appeal of investing in Calgary or Edmonton (where most of my properties are).

Joint venturing is an excellent way to get your money where you want it and still take advantage of some expert feet on the ground in that area. The real key is to educate yourself first, do your due dilligence on the area and on your partner, and get every detail in writing. If you research the area and are confident in your partner's abilities to find an appropriate property in that area, then your investment should be solid.

RealtorDave

Registered
Hi Kenny,

I'm a Realtor in Calgary and could help you get started. At the very least, I know a lot of good people out here. But you would need to come out at least once a year (though a flight to Calgary is cheaper than the land transfer tax grab).

[email protected]

leotvproperties

Registered
Hi Kenny,

It is definitely a great time to invest in Calgary. Reports indicate that Calgary and not Toronto and Vancouver is leading the nation in terms of the housing market. I would recommend you to look into real estate investment firms that focus on the Western parts of Canada. Vision Investment Properties is one RE investment firm that has helped me out in the past, they primarily focus on RE investments in Alberta, and might have some investment projects you would be interested in.

-Leo

wgraham

REIN Member
If you are new to the niche find a local expert and partner with them. It will save you hours of time, many $s and probably a better ROI than doing it yourself.

TerryKruse

Registered
It is a really good time to invest in Alberta. I have a vacancy at the end of the month in a furnished Calgary home, have raised the rent $175 a month and showed it to 3 different people yesterday.

Good luck with your investing.

Terry

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Investing in a far away city requires a local team and significant time investment. It may not make sense for one home ! Budget 4-6 trips before you buy anything, then 2-3 trips in year one then at least one annually. That makes sense with an investment of $250,000+ ie an acquisition size in excess of $1M. If you invest less buy in some of the growing GTA sub-areas or JV with folks based in Alberta. We bought a significant asset 15 months ago in Calgary that is now worth far more with a cash-on-cash ROI over 45%. You cannot find this yourself unless you spend significant time on Calgary or partner with someone that has done business here for years.

RedlineBrett

Registered
Lots of people invest in Calgary while living elsewhere. We are the #1 market and attract lots of investors as a result.

Cash flow is not easy to get here, and it is also not easy to find good deals, although in the single family home market there will always be decent selection.

You need to build your team same as you would in your own local market. Realtor, manager, broker, lawyer etc. Once you have found your team it's usually just about time looking at different deals. Most of our clients don't even bother flying out until they are ready to buy... feature sheets, cash flow analysis spreadsheets and drive-bys by our realtors taking photos is enough to do most of the job.

Aneta

REIN Member
I live in ON and invest in AB (focus on Edmonton). Your approach should be like to any market you may be interested in: do your research, build your team, focus on a niche and area so your business is efficient. Building it up takes time, there is a learning curve, but as the business evolves, it should get easier. You have to network to find the right team. AB is a great place to invest for many of the reasons stated above, including the lack of those horrendous land transfer taxes! :eek:)

JBagorio

Registered
Kennyk171,

Calgary is definetely the place to invest. Being a remote investor it can be done depending on how much you know about the area. You could definitely build a team to make it happen, but given your unfamiliarity of the city, it would be in you best interest from the business point of view to leverage the local experts (any of the responders above will do) to help you mitigate some of your risk heading out in the wild west.

All the best!

Jason N Bagorio

Bagorio Corporation

www.bagorio.com

mikelohan109

Registered
I'm new here and I'm interested also about looking for good investment in any place. In Calgary seems it is good to invest there thanks for the information you shared guys.

Top Bottom