Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Long term Fixed Rates dropping as well

RobMacdonald

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I heard the cheer from across Canada when the banks followed suit with the decrease in the prime rate to 3.00%. Now the mortgage lenders across the country are following with decreases in the long term fixed rates. There are several lenders with 5 year fixed rates down to the 4.5% range and some lenders even lower.

This is basically what`s been predicted at many of the REIN meetings and by our good friend Benjamin Tal with CIBC. Remaining flexible in your long term mortgage strategy is still a great plan, and you`re going to have some good options over the next several months.

JoefromTO

REIN Member
Ok, how is it possible that some people have variable rates lower than 3%??? I talked to one of my friends today. He negotiated a -8 off prime, open mortgage for 5 years... He is not in the real estate investing business but this is for his primary residence.

What kind of variable rates do some of you have now?

RobMacdonald

Registered
If he`s managed to get Prime - .8% on a new mortgage today, I`d love to find out what lender. Every lender I know of is either at Prime + .8% or Prime + 1%.

If you got a VRM in the past, up to probably 4 months ago, you could still get Prime - .75%. But those days are gone, and not soon to return. The prediction is that the pricing will adjust in the future, but will probably get down to Prime +/- .25%.

From what I`ve heard from the banking industry, is that the spreads on VRM`s have all but disappeared. If you friend got that rate, then he`s dealing with a `rogue` branch, because the bank is most likely losing money on the deal.

JoefromTO

REIN Member
Yes he did get that mortgage about 6-8 months ago. He also did tell me that the bank told him that they are losing money
Oh well.

However, he also told me that if he had to get a new mortgage today, he would pay around 4.15%...thats still pretty good.

He definitely lucked out by getting that rate in writing for 5 years...

Top Bottom