Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Looking at a Career in Real Estate

CollegeRentals

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I`m making a permanent move from Toronto to Vancouver this summer and will be leaving my current job behind. Having to look for a new job I`m also reviewing my career and looking at a possible move into the world of Real Estate. I`ve become increasingly driven through my investment portfolio and believe that a new career in Real Estate would continue this passion in addition to increasing my Real Estate education for my own investments.

I`ve initially thought of taking some licencing courses at UBC and going into Property/Strata Management, but really I`m open to all suggestions.

What advice can you give for someone entering a career in Real Estate? Obviously there are many different avenues to take in Real Estate - which fields would you recommend?

As a background I have a BA and about (10) year`s experience in Business Management. Any insight you can provide is appreciated!

Cheers!

tahani

REIN Member
hello. please go to topic " can an investor be a real estate agent" you will find some answers there and if you still have more just let us know.

good luck.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Cameron

Whatever you do don`t go with what your thinking... strata or property management... Both terrible, soul crushing choices.

However much success and wealth you can obtain through those paths you`ll obtain far more elsewhere for the same drive and dedication needed to excel.

CollegeRentals

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 7 2010, 12:57 AM) Hi Cameron

Whatever you do don`t go with what your thinking... strata or property management... Both terrible, soul crushing choices.

However much success and wealth you can obtain through those paths you`ll obtain far more elsewhere for the same drive and dedication needed to excel.

Adam,

That`s an interesting persective coming from someone directly involved in Property Management. What makes it such a terrible, soul crushing choice???

tahani

REIN Member
Adam. interesting for you to say that . I wonder why too. well I know your a very hard working man and your always workin...............in my earlier years in Real estate i used to say that too tp others who asked for my advice about getting into this business. i used to advice them not to and go on into why they should not.
then one time a lady asked and never listen to my advice. she is a great sales women now and does very good for her self. i am so proud of her. she taught me a big lesson and that is not to say yes you can or your cant, who am I to say that to someone. i have learned to always give them the good the bad about the work and let them choose their path. even though my intentions where good as i did not want her to go thru the hardship i experienced at the beginning of my career. but guess what? we are all different and you never know who will be a star in their field.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Tahani

You have a point and I`ll try to be more positive

I`ve had some success in my field and keep growing my business, however even if he`s able to surpass what I`ve been able to do I would still ask is it worth it. Its just plain easier to structure a business with a higher hourly rate for your self in many other fields. Property management you also encounter a lot more negativity, and varied working hours.

QUOTE (tahani @ Jan 7 2010, 12:09 PM) Adam. interesting for you to say that . I wonder why too. well I know your a very hard working man and your always workin...............in my earlier years in Real estate i used to say that too tp others who asked for my advice about getting into this business. i used to advice them not to and go on into why they should not.
then one time a lady asked and never listen to my advice. she is a great sales women now and does very good for her self. i am so proud of her. she taught me a big lesson and that is not to say yes you can or your cant, who am I to say that to someone. i have learned to always give them the good the bad about the work and let them choose their path. even though my intentions where good as i did not want her to go thru the hardship i experienced at the beginning of my career. but guess what? we are all different and you never know who will be a star in their field.

housingrental

Registered
A brief list off the top of my head:

Minimal barrier to entry in market place - Your often competing against firms that charge unrealistically low amounts and then provide terrible service. As a result adding clients can often take months or a year after they initial contact you once they fire there first PM
... All the client service work of a realtor at a fraction of the pay.

Work hours.

Negativity. With fantastic customer service and keeping most tenants and owners happy your still dealing with many each day that will be irrationally irate and abusive no matter what you do. A tenant can`t pay rent ? Your fault? Tenant damages property? Your fault? Property needs new $10K Roof. Owner also blames you

What can at best at times be labeled an odd operating / legislative environment to work with.

QUOTE (CollegeRentals @ Jan 7 2010, 08:53 AM) Adam,

That`s an interesting persective coming from someone directly involved in Property Management. What makes it such a terrible, soul crushing choice???

Top Bottom