Looking to connect with investors in Dawson Creek

sdixon

Registered
Hey,

I am somewhat new to the real estate investment world and I am looking to connect with those who have invested in Dawson Creek and Ft. St. John. I think there is great opportunity there and would love to get connected to others out there who feel the same.

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Hello

I live in FSJ and own property in both Dawson Creek and Fort St. John.
It is a great place to invest, cash flow is strong (IF you buy right) and capital appreciation will be strong over the next few years.

However, property management will be a major issue for people investing from out of town. If you can work around that somehow, things can work well for you!

PM me if you have other questions!

Mitch

ChrisMewhort

Registered
QUOTE (MitchCollins @ Aug 3 2008, 09:08 AM) However, property management will be a major issue for people investing from out of town. If you can work around that somehow, things can work well for you!

Hey all, I`m bringing this one out of the woodworks!

Does anyone know if this still holds true? Can anyone recommend a property management company there that they have had success with in the Fort St. John/Dawson Creek area? Are there any recommended Realtors in the area?

And finally, if there aren`t any good property management companies, is there a default way of trying to make an investment like that work? Any suggestions derived from personal experience? Or is the best advice to leave the area alone until a good PM settles there?

Noel

Registered
QUOTE (devc @ Feb 28 2009, 04:42 PM) Hey all, I`m bringing this one out of the woodworks!

Does anyone know if this still holds true? Can anyone recommend a property management company there that they have had success with in the Fort St. John/Dawson Creek area? Are there any recommended Realtors in the area?

And finally, if there aren`t any good property management companies, is there a default way of trying to make an investment like that work? Any suggestions derived from personal experience? Or is the best advice to leave the area alone until a good PM settles there?

Hi Chris,

I`d chat with Mitch. He lives in the area and can tell you everything you need to know. My contact at CMHC says it will be one of the bright spots in BC for 2009.

ChrisMewhort

Registered
QUOTE (Noel @ Mar 1 2009, 02:12 PM) My contact at CMHC says it will be one of the bright spots in BC for 2009.

Thanks for the support, Noel... That`s what I like to hear!

I shot Mitch a PM just before bumping this thread; I was hoping this would act as a follow-up/supplementary info post. Does anyone own in the area who can lend additional advice?

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Hi devc;

Just posted a long reply here to answer all your questions in your PM to me...but something messed up and I lost the whole post.

I`ll try to find some time over the next couple days and repost that!

Good luck

Mitch

ChrisMewhort

Registered
QUOTE (MitchCollins @ Mar 1 2009, 08:30 PM) Hi devc;

Just posted a long reply here to answer all your questions in your PM to me...but something messed up and I lost the whole post.

I`ll try to find some time over the next couple days and repost that!

Good luck

Mitch

Darn! I hate it when that happens. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide... I look forward to reading!

Cheers,

Chris

ChrisMewhort

Registered
In my search for Property Management companies in the Dawson Creek/Fort St. John I came across the following post from Tina. After being asked what experience she`d had with each company, she followed-up with the second quote. I`ve pared both snippets down to the bare bones on Property Management.

Can anyone offer information on if any better property management companies have arrived in the area? Any positive experiences with the companies listed? Other negative experiences?

QUOTE (Tina @ Nov 19 2007, 01:35 PM) Property management is an issue here. Although there are two management companies in town: Li-Car Management - 250-785-2662 and Sterling Management - 250-785-2829, I can not recommend either one. We tried them each for a year and we`ll be managing our own properties again effective Dec 1.

Tina

QUOTE (Tina @ Jan 4 2008, 09:55 PM) LICAR managed our property from Nov 2005-Nov 2006 and I found the people very friendly and easy to deal with. However, I felt that they were too busy and were not really efficient.

They took over in the middle of November & I had a tenant move out on the 25th. At the time I had never had a vacant unit in three years and a week into December I happened to drive by the unit & noticed that it was still empty. When I called Licar, the unit wasn`t even on a list anywhere saying that it needed to be filled. It had been missed in the flow somewhere.

I had a tenant move out a few months later & there was considerable damage to the unit. Licar got it all fixed in a timely fashion and did up a bill for the ex-tenant but then did absolutely no follow-up when the tenant didn`t pay until I called to inquire about it.

I had a unit with a tenant that had been in it for 1 1/2 years paying 750.00/month and when he moved out Licar re-rented it for $750.00/month (market had increased drasticly in 2004/2005 and it should have been rented for $850-$900).

After that, I felt like I had to micro-manage my management company so I decided to try Sterling Management. That was an absolute nightmare!

R

RussellWestcott

Make sure you are at the upcoming BC REIN™ workshop this Friday night...

Mayor Mike Bernier will be presenting

Click here for the details

Plus there will be plenty of discussion if Dawson Creek Ft. St. John makes the Top BC Town Report... The latest list will be presented this weekend.