Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Low cost/energy Bitumen Extraction

GlennLasiuta

Registered
Low-Impact Raw Materials Extraction from Oil Sands
Munich, 2009-Jan-15

Researchers from Siemens Corporate Technology are working on a new, much more environmentally friendly process for extracting bitumen from oil sands. They want to use induction to heat oil-bearing sands and so release the valuable raw material. Canada is the main location of oil sand deposits, with around 178 billion barrels of heavy oils. About three percent of these resources have been exploited since the 1960s. Increasing oil prices for the foreseeable future, however, are now making extraction economically attractive.

Read More
http://http://w1.siemens.com/innova.../e_research_news/2009/e_22_resnews_0901_2.htm
http://http://w1.siemens.com/innova.../e_research_news/2009/e_22_resnews_0901_2.htm

A friend of mine who deals with Siemens gave me the heads up on this. Simple and brilliant. Plus, from those of us in the oil patch who don`t believe the `30 years left of oil and then the world will end`, his engineering contacts estimate there is enough oil in the bitumen sands formations to supply us for up to 180 years at current consumption rates.

Enjoy,

Glenn

LeighF

Registered
Petrobank Energy is doing something similar with their THAI method.

chargerharry

Registered
I saw a process on Discovery Channel the other day where they were using microwave technology to melt down used tires. Once exposed to the process, the tires melted down to a refinable oil, steel and a tar like substance which was supposed to be quite valuable, although I cannot remember the application.

The reason this is interesting is that the same technology could be used on tarsand. Benefits included reduced energy consumption and absolutely no water consumption so no toxic tailing ponds and reduced abuse of the headwaters that serve all of Alberta and Sask. I`ll see if I can find the link.

GlennLasiuta

Registered
Absolutely. This technology is definately adaptable to oilsands extraction, and I`m glad to see that we`re heading in the right direction. Now, of course it takes time to implement new technologies as there is huge $$ invested in `conventional` methods, but it`s going the right way.

Some interesting facts regarding our `dirty` oilsands, particularily Syncrude, the biggest player:

- In Syncrudes 30 year history, only 500 ducks have ever been killed in a settling basin (tailings pond). Yes, the 500 that perished last spring due to a `freak occurence`

- Land reclamation began in 1983, and investment into this has been steadily growing ($30.5M in 2006) as faster more efficient methods are developed.

- Syncrudes lost-time injury rate is 0.05 / 200,00 hours (AB average is 3.9 / 200,000 hours)

- 88% of the water used is recycled (approx. 18 times), 60% less water / bbl than in 1980. This water comes from the Athabasca River. They use about 1/5th of 1% of the Rivers` annual flow.

- Syncrude is the largest employer of Aboriginal and Metis in Canada, with about $1.1B worth of business with local enterprises.

- Current production is estimated at 350,000 bbl of oil per day, with a future target of 500,000 contingent on strict economic and environmental criteria.

Also, on another note, sulphur emissions from Alberta gas plants have steadily declined since 2000 (about 45% less).

(Source, PROCESSWest, September 2008 edition)
Thanks,

Glenn

QUOTE (chargerharry @ Jan 21 2009, 09:50 PM) I saw a process on Discovery Channel the other day where they were using microwave technology to melt down used tires. Once exposed to the process, the tires melted down to a refinable oil, steel and a tar like substance which was supposed to be quite valuable, although I cannot remember the application.

The reason this is interesting is that the same technology could be used on tarsand. Benefits included reduced energy consumption and absolutely no water consumption so no toxic tailing ponds and reduced abuse of the headwaters that serve all of Alberta and Sask. I`ll see if I can find the link.

Top Bottom