Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Money down needed for sellers on new homes when we buy theirs via agreement for sale

toy

Registered
Hi Everyone...

If we buy a home from someone via an agreement for sale and they go to buy a new owner occupied home do they need 5% or 20% down?

I am hearing that they will need 20-25% down since they still have a mortgage in their name....

Please clarify if you can....

Thank you!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (toy @ Jun 1 2010, 02:49 PM) If we buy a home from someone via an agreement for sale and they go to buy a new owner occupied home do they need 5% or 20% down?

I am hearing that they will need 20-25% down since they still have a mortgage in their name....
probably as they now buy a 2nd home / investment !!

HOWEVER: they have sold the property (in the future) and as such the buyer (you) are on the hook for mortgage payments .. i.e. they`d argue that they have income to offset their mortgage obligations !!

This is likely a case where a good mortgage broker differentiates him (or her)self from the merely mortal !

Conrad5

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
The answer to your questions is both. It depends whether they can qualify for a second home or what is in the AFS in which case they can put down minimum 5%. If that is not possible then they have to put 20% down in which case their purchase is considered a rental property.
I hope this helps.
Conrad.

QUOTE (toy @ Jun 1 2010, 02:49 PM) Hi Everyone...

If we buy a home from someone via an agreement for sale and they go to buy a new owner occupied home do they need 5% or 20% down?

Please clarify if you can....

Thank you!

Top Bottom