Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Monthly Inspections

clwenner

REIN Member
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone knows the legalities surrounding fire alarms in rental units. I understand that as landlords we are responsible to ensure they are in working order. What does that mean exactly? Quarterly checks? Monthly? Biannual? Unfortunately, I did not put "monthly inspections" into my tenants` leases and now I`m wondering how to get around that if I am supposed to check the fire alarms monthly.
Thanks all!
Cindy

housingrental

Registered
Maintenance inspections should be OK with proper notice
Common area`s you can check more often but for insuite most residential renters are going to get pretty pissed off with monthly checks

thejules

REIN Member
We can inspect our properties at any time with 24 hours notice. I do my smoke detector inspections on all my rental units twice a year, usually at the time change in the spring & fall. I also have them sign a form saying that I tested it in their presence and it was found to be working properly. Hope that helps...

Ready4Rent

Registered
Cindy,

You can do a check of your fire alarms whenever, just give the tenants 24 hrs notice. We currently have a process that the tenants first inspection for fire alarms and damage/maintenance start after 3 months of moving in. From that inspection they are either moved to an inspection every 6 months or depending on what we find every 3 months. Most tenants are very agreeable as it only takes a few mins, and it is just protecting your investment. An interior inspection every month would get most tenants up in arms, but you can always do an exterior every month.

Tenants are well aware of the system as they are notified before the lease signing. However you can do your inspections with 24 hr notice.

My 2 cents, and it helps me sleep at night.

John

(and yes get them to sign the form if possible, and wrap tape around the battery`s with the inspectors initials and date of change)

clwenner

REIN Member
Thanks everyone! I seem to recall something Don said in one of our REIN meetings about legal liability and just want to make sure I`m doing it right. I like the tape & initials idea - proves tampering... and the 3 month to 6 month idea is perfect.

One last question... in regards to an external inspection, do i have to give them notice?

All the best,
Cindy

housingrental

Registered
RTA doesn`t mention exterior inspections. Generally in multi unit building don`t provide notice for exterior checks. If it`s a single family house it might be a good idea in most cases from a customer service point of view - Most tenants probably don`t you randomly walking around when they`re having a bbq, etc..

Top Bottom