Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Moral Dilemma

agrog

Registered
Hi Y`all,

I bought a duplex on the condition of an inspection and when the electrician came in he found the house to be wired for 60 amp service when on the seller sheet it said 100 amp. (code is 120 amp for a duplex, but that`s beside the point)

The deal fell through because of this yet the seller continues to rent this place out to two families with children. The electrician didn`t call the ESA to shut the place down (he fretted about this for a while).

As a moral citizen would you call the ESA to shut the place down for the safety of the families?
What happens if you were to offer on this house again?

Thanks in advance.

ontariolandlord

Registered
QUOTE (agrog @ Jun 22 2010, 07:30 PM) Hi Y`all,

I bought a duplex on the condition of an inspection and when the electrician came in he found the house to be wired for 60 amp service when on the seller sheet it said 100 amp. (code is 120 amp for a duplex, but that`s beside the point)

The deal fell through because of this yet the seller continues to rent this place out to two families with children. The electrician didn`t call the ESA to shut the place down (he fretted about this for a while).

As a moral citizen would you call the ESA to shut the place down for the safety of the families?
What happens if you were to offer on this house again?

Thanks in advance.
Fire-trap.

Are you in Ontario?

agrog

Registered
Yes I live in Ontarioooooo.

I realize there is a fire issue here, but should I make it my business to help the renters that are currently living there? They obviously don`t know anything or they would have already done something by now.

PropertySolution

Registered
If it were me I would advise the authorities. The other option should something happen would be something I couldn`t live with.

But to each there own, this is simply my opinion.

Good Luck

housingrental

Registered
I`m not certain this is something that you can take action on.

I`m not certain with ESA but my experience with some regulators is they ignore requests for inspection from third parties without written authorization of owner -which I would assume they won`t provide - and then you pay the cost of the inspection. Phone them and see if they say otherwise.

I`ve also seen recently seen a multi-plex where some of the units had 60 amps - and were recently constructed apx. 7 years old - so I`m not sure if no other issues this is something that would even be required to change. Like above though contact the ESA and they can advise.

If your concerned you can send a note to the tenant and owner on this - no idea if any potential liability to you but at the very least you might make your life more complicated if the tenant take incorrect action to owner and owner goes after you because of this.

housingrental

Registered
Actually to clarify - When I`ve dealt with ESA inspection they do normally require written authorization from owner and you to pay cost - however what I`m not certain on is if they`ll inspect based on complaint re safety without this so phone them.

You might also want to try the fire department as in certain areas they require ESA no deficiency letters to be on file with them for multifamily

agrog

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jun 23 2010, 09:56 AM) Actually to clarify - When I`ve dealt with ESA inspection they do normally require written authorization from owner and you to pay cost - however what I`m not certain on is if they`ll inspect based on complaint re safety without this so phone them.

You might also want to try the fire department as in certain areas they require ESA no deficiency letters to be on file with them for multifamily

Just found out that anyone can call for an ESA inspection if you think something is unsafe. 1-877-esa-safe. press 1, 2.
They only need the owners name and the address and they will send someone out to inspect the property.
I think I`m just going to leave this one alone. I know if I tell it will come back to haunt me.
I just hope no fire breaks out and that the person who buys this house fixes it.

PropertySolution

Registered
QUOTE (agrog @ Jun 23 2010, 09:24 PM) ... think I`m just going to leave this one alone. I know if I tell it will come back to haunt me.
I just hope no fire breaks out and that the person who buys this house fixes it.

In what way can it come back to "haunt" you? I only ask because I am interested in any type of legal ramifications you may have found and not to imply anything about your decision.

housingrental

Registered
Yes but did you check to see if they`d actual inspect over this and consider 60 amp to be unsafe? My limited and possibly incorrect understanding is they won`t come out for this without being paid and authorization of the property owner.

QUOTE (agrog @ Jun 23 2010, 11:24 PM) Just found out that anyone can call for an ESA inspection if you think something is unsafe. 1-877-esa-safe. press 1, 2.
They only need the owners name and the address and they will send someone out to inspect the property.
I think I`m just going to leave this one alone. I know if I tell it will come back to haunt me.

Nir

REIN Member
Hi agrog, how would you feel if people complained about your property? no property is perfect! there are tens of thousands of old legal and safe buildings with 60 amp service. please decide whether you want to take care of yourself and invest or "take care" of others and complain. just don`t mix the two because as an investor you want to build strong relationships with other investors not complain about them even if they are a potential seller. Cheers, Neil

housedoc

Registered
Mind your own beeswax!
If it`s an issue, it`s the electrician`s call, not yours.
If you were to make an offer, account for complete electrical upgrade.

Top Bottom