Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mortgage Fraud in Canada

Anonymous

Registered
Fraud in Canadian mortgage applications went up 50% from 400 million to 600 million between 2011 and 2012. With harder and harder qualification standards, we can definitely expect even more mortgage fraud for 2013. The problem is it is affecting mortgage brokers and lenders, who must continually cope with a smaller and smaller pool of potential clients.

Tighter and tighter lending makes it harder and harder for mortgage brokers to find clients and make a living. Therefore, in order to put food on the table, and support their families, brokers are essentially encouraged to fudge documents, turn a blind eye to certain items, and ultimately qualify and lend money to clients who do not technically qualify for a mortgage under new rules.

Even worse than mortgage document and application fraud, these tighter and tighter guidelines are making it increasingly more difficult for existing homeowners and mortgage-holders to qualify when it comes to renewing their mortgages. In other words, everybody who got into the market with zero down and a 40 year amortization 5 years ago, will now have to qualify under more stringent guidelines, increased capital requirements, and shorter amortization periods, and likely higher interest rates.

Unfortunately, mortgage brokers are taught to selectively ignore certain requirements if they are certain their client will continue to make payments. As the average client is likely to make whatever sacrifice necessary to make their payment and keep a roof over their head. This is what is referred to as `soft fraud` or Fraud for Shelter. Overlooking certain lending requirements and issuing a mortgage despite not fulfilling certain guidelines. However, the reality is that as lending continues to tighten, mortgage fraud is only going to grow, and eventually, as debt levels reach historical highs, we only expect defaults to grow as well.

mortgageman

Registered
Any serious professional broker is not going to risk their license to help someone commit fraud on a deal.

Successful brokers will simply adapt their business and do more Alt. A, B and private lending deals.

If you can't qualify to switch your mortgage to a new lender at renewal you simply accept your current lender's renewal offer. You might not get the best rate on the market but as long as you've made your payments as agreed over the previous term you're not going to lose your house.

addysaeed

REIN Member
Can you quote a source for this???

The same could be said about real estate agents as well since no mortgage approvals mean that the profession is starving...

I don't understand what the point of this post was... Are you looking to educate or just relaying a conversation you had with someone?

nubiwan

Registered
I don't see how a broker can assist in fraud. My recent dealing saw me providing every conceivable piece of documentation to the lender (via the broker) in order to secure my loan. Unless the broker is complicit in some form of document fraud, I can't see how it can happen. Maybe I just answered the question.

Regardless, I personally was waiting for a request on my first born in my last mortgage negotiation. Things sure have tightened up. I was honestly about to pull the plug on the deal, they had asked me for so much information. Most of this long after I had been "approved" and even paid for an appraisal.

Top Bottom