Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

moving to hamilton

terri

Registered
hi everyone,

I have a friend that is moving to hamilton in september to go to McMaster U. As well, he would like to be close to a climbing gym at Main and Dundurn and we were wondering which areas he should be looking to rent in and which areas he should avoid. Which areas should be avoided because they will be too expensive?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Terri

OlegP

Registered
Generally, I would avoid anything north of King Street, and Hamilton East - they tend to me rougher areas. Hamilton West or Mountain West should be good. Ancaster is expensive.

CamMcCarroll

Registered
Oops, how'd i miss that : )

...the area around dundurn and south towards the escarpment is a great rental area. Average incomes in the area are 90k and up. Yet, this doesn't mean that rents are extremely high. There are very good rental units in this area some higher priced some reasonable.

If he's looking for slightly lower rents, he could try west Harbour area and James st North area - great area and affordable...

MrHamilton

Registered
Hi Terri,

How close does your friend want to live from campus? Is he wanting to rent a room or a suite (or a house)? Knowing most students, they want to be within 5-8 minute walk.... west and south of the campus are less expensive than Westdale (east of campus). Westdale being one of the most desireable places to live in Hamilton...

For rooming houses, decent rooms above grade go for 400-450, below grade 320-400, market rents are typically all inclusive and sometimes include cable and internet.

One of my REIN member clients are completely renovating a really nice six plex at King and Dundurn, so about 100m from Main and Dundurn, short bus ride to Mac U, short walk to Fortino's, 10 foot ceilings, etc...

but probably the best recommendation would be for your friend to give me a call... I can ramble forever but we can flush this out pretty quick over the phone :)

Hope that helps!

Erwin

markl

Registered
Hey Terry,

How old is you friend? Are they wanting shared acc or a 1 BR? Your friend is going to be nicely surprised by the rents on a nice 1 or 2 BR in the Locke St area.

One of my clients just closed on a great place on Hunter St that has a nice 1 BR basement apt. Drop me an email and I can get him through the property.

Regards,

terri

Registered
Thanks every one. I will pass on the info and contacts. He will be back in the country mid June.

Thanks,
T.

Top Bottom