Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Multi unit - separate electric meter versus sub metering

Meaghan

REIN Member
Looking for thoughts and comments on the cost benefits between putting in a separate hydro meter versus arranging for sub-metering on a soon to be converted duplex.

We are looking at a residential property with an unfinished basement that we would like to put in a separate apartment. As the basement is unfinished, it would not be too onerous to rewire, put in a separate breaker box and hopefully (not sure about Ontario Power's regulations on separate meters) a separate hydro meter.

Has anyone compared the cost and rules involved in getting a separate hydro meter for a residential property in Ontario?

Does anyone have a recommendation on a sub-metering company and the costs to convert?

Thanks.

housingrental

Registered
It depends

Get in an electrician in your area for specifics / quotes on the particular property

Check out www.esasafe.com if you need to find one

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Meaghan just curious on what the outcome was?

Meaghan

REIN Member
It's been awhile. We ended up going with separate hydro meters. At the end of this small chapter, we ended up with a re-zoning of the detached house into a legal duplex. Although the story continues, we are very happy with the results and the value increase in the property. Lots of learnings from walking the final 20 steps.

Yoon5203

Yoon Chung
Registered
What was the reasons that you ended up with separate hydro meters than the sub-metering? Thanks for your time. I am in a similar situation now.

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
It's been awhile. We ended up going with separate hydro meters. At the end of this small chapter, we ended up with a re-zoning of the detached house into a legal duplex. Although the story continues, we are very happy with the results and the value increase in the property. Lots of learnings from walking the final 20 steps.
Thank you for sharing your experience Meaghan

Meaghan

REIN Member
The basement was unfinished. We had to bring in an electrician to do substantial work. The additional cost for the separate meter, as I recall, was not that significant relative to the overall renovation. Now, each unit deals with their own hydro bills. How far are you in your process? What province is this in?

Yoon5203

Yoon Chung
Registered
Thanks for your reply. It s Ontario. Heard from sub metering companies they do not want to do for duplex or triplex due to tenant conflicts.. was it the legal suites ( renovation with city permits)? Or can we do it without the suite permit meaning the licensed electric technician can do for us working with the Hydro company, not the city? Thanks!

Meaghan

REIN Member
If I knew then....what I know now. I would recommend checking out www.suiteadditions.com. Great information for secondary suites. Differences between secondary suites and duplex. Andy also has a great free e-book. Download that and take a look. Learnt lots from it. He also has a favorite basement renovations book, "Remodeling A Basement", by Roger German. Great book - will show you how to do your own drawings. Our basement suite involved permits with the City; and now a duplex designation from the City. We would not have felt comfortable having tenants in a basement that was not according to code. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom