Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Musings on Greece, Stock Market Gyrations and Exciting Investments

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ May 6 2010, 11:11 PM) It`s good to know that pissing contests will still exist when I get older.

I happen to know that Thomas invests in stocks and options as well based on his past postings. So he diversifies from real estate into stocks, while I diversify from stocks into real estate.

I don`t think this has anything to do with a `pissing contest` but more with different points of departure regarding various investment classes. All forms of investing have moments of frustration and dissappointment and nothing goes straight up. Overall, based on Thomas` postings, his real estate investments are holding up well in these turbulent times because he knows what he is doing. From my side, my investments (both real estate and stockmarket) are doing well too regardless of someone pushing the wrong button.

What concerns me though is this `chauvinism` regarding one asset class especially when combined with leverage that on this website is too often considered the end-all of investing - call it the contrarian in me. So often are we led to believe that all big fortunes are made in real estate. Well, Warren Buffett and Bill Gates beg to differ. Then there are Saudi princes who invest their oil wealth in all kinds of non-real estate investment classes or the Mexican mogul who made his billions in telecom.

Robert Kyosaki nor Donald Trump have reached those levels of wealth, although they are obviously doing fine. Oops, I forgot, to mention some Googlers and Apples that are not in real estate but are getting by too. And so on and so on.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ May 6 2010, 11:11 PM) It`s good to know that pissing contests will still exist when I get older.
I greatly admire Godfried`s more diversified view of the world .. as real estate is only one leg to get wealthy .. there are many others and he happens to have a strong stock market leg too ..

Why is this a pissing contest ? It is an exchange of ideas .. to benefit each other .. and for others, who care to listen/read, to learn !

VicChung

REIN Member
QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ May 7 2010, 10:34 AM) <br />Brilliant posts from both of you Thomas and Godfried.<br /><br />Thank you,<br /><br /><br /><br />

Great Posts Thomas and Godfried. Thanks for sharing.

Lucas

Registered
QUOTE (markl @ May 7 2010, 10:28 AM) And thank you once again for the exchange of ideas. I love reading Thomas`s and Godfried`s posts as I am always able to learn something from them.

Regards,

I second this...Thanks Thomas and Godfried for your informative posts!!

Lucas

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=Lucas]I second this...Thanks Thomas and Godfried for your informative posts!!

Lucas
still valid over 2 years later ..

Rickson9

Registered
Stock market "gyrations" are the best and easiest way to make money in the stock market. Individuals who fear fluctuations in the stock market are typically poor at stock market investing.

The TFSAs were introduced in 2009, right at the depth of the stock market collapse. A collapse that was compared with the Great Depression - one of the best times to invest in the stock market in history, ever.

Although the amounts are small, I literally ran to the bank to set up a TFSA account to hold stock and poured every penny into the stock market (the same stocks I already have - Fossil and The Buckle). Most people, if they have contributed $5k per year since 2009, probably have $20k in their TFSAs give or take a few dollars. Our accounts have almost doubled to $40k each.

Diversification, asset-allocation, minimizing fluctuations, and all that rubbish they talk about in commercials and in the media, don't work. If they did, everybody would be walking around as stock market millionaires. They're not.

Also, valid over 2 years later.

Mom and Pop Investors Miss Out On Stock Market Gains

"Stocks have more than doubled since the financial crisis
and are
closing in on a five-year high, but many Main Street investors have been
absent from the party - especially those with the least saved."

"Those who missed much of the rally did so because they
reduced equity exposure
after the benchmark S&P 500 index plummeted
57 percent between late 2007 and March 2009, according to an analysis by
Reuters of mutual fund flows and changes in assets held in retirement
accounts. Investors with the smallest savings typically saw the lowest
percentage recovery in returns."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/insight-mom-pop-investors-miss-140603736.html

Individuals "reduced equity exposure" when prices were at an all-time low
and it was the best time in history
to invest in the stock market? Such a shame.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=Rickson9]Individuals "reduced equity exposure" when prices were at an all-time low and it was the best time in history to invest in the stock market? Such a shame.
Indeed .. but with stock markets far higher today and REITs trading above market value after a 300% gain from the bottom of 2009 .. what is TODAY'S recommendation to invest in ?

curiousLo

REIN Member
What we know and have expertise on would be the best place to invest on.

My own experience with stocks have been hit and miss.

I find companies hard to study. Sure you can look at all their public numbers, but ultimately there are people inside those companies who make many kinds of decisions on a daily basis. Who knows what goes on behind those doors... Often times the public numbers don't immediately reflect the private decisions either. It is hard to entrust your money to random people and hope they multiply it for you.

At least that is my rationalization for losing interest in stocks and leaning towards real estate. I am just starting to read Don's ACRE book, and hoping to learn and develop my expertise about a business which I can have more control over.

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer][quote user=Rickson9]Individuals "reduced equity exposure" when prices were at an all-time low and it was the best time in history to invest in the stock market? Such a shame.
Indeed .. but with stock markets far higher today and REITs trading above market value after a 300% gain from the bottom of 2009 .. what is TODAY'S recommendation to invest in ?

Good question.

For me, nothing. My expertise lies in a particular type of stock and RE investing and I can't find anything worthwhile to invest in at the moment.

I'm getting horribly outbid in Phoenix and the stock market is expensive.

2012 YTD returns

NASDAQ +19.3%

S&P500 +14.8%

Dow +10.5%

Phoenix RE +16.6%**

* does not include dividends

** 12 months ending July 2012

Always looking.

Edit:

Phoenix RE +21.8%**

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2012/10/02/phoenix-area-home-prices-surge-22.html

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=Rickson9]

I'm getting horribly outbid in Phoenix and the stock market is expensive.
So, time to quit investing in Phoenix ? or just slightly less returns ?

No more stock investing for you, ever ? A little simplistic a view, eh ?

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]So, time to quit investing in Phoenix ? or just slightly less returns ?

It might be time to quit. None of my bids are winning. Unfortunately at the moment returns are not slightly less - they're significantly less.

[quote user=ThomasBeyer]No more stock investing for you, ever ?

No stocks worth investing in right now. I can't speak to "ever". I don't know how long this lull will last. I never do.

[quote user=ThomasBeyer]A little simplistic a view, eh ?

After making lot of money with simple, there is little incentive to do otherwise.

"I don't look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look around for 1-foot bars that I can step over." - Warren Buffett

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=Rickson9]"I don't look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look around for 1-foot bars that I can step over."

Good one !

Easier said than done, of course !

MaximeValmont

Registered
Rickson9,

I like how you quote Warren Buffet,

You say that "No stock is worth investing in right now",

But if you knew anything about financ you would notice that right now is one of the best time to buy stocks ever. Of course, some compagnies are bad, some are good, but there are lots of compagnies with huge competitive advantage that you can buy really cheap right now.

Valmont.

MaximeValmont

Registered
[quote user=Rickson9]"If you're so smart, why am I so rich?" - Charlie Munger

You are not rich though.

Actually, you are not smart, not rich, and don't know much about Finance.

The program that I am using tells me that under the name Rickson9, there is about 5 posts per day on various forum on the internet, REIN, Fastline forum etc. No serious investor is putting that much time on the internet bragging about how good he is.

Your website is basically some internet-marketing website in which you brag about how much money you made, then people enter your e-mail adress to get your free education program, then you'll try to sell them the idea to invest with you. That not a bad idea, but at some point you'll end up insulting a guy like me that actually can post bad reviews of your website on 500 good website every 24 hours on auto-pilot.

Stop quotting Warren buffett and Charlie Munger like if you are like them. They are billionaire, you are not. They know about finance, you don't. They work all day , you post on the internet all day. People from all over the world say they are the best, YOU think you are the best.

Alright fellas, See you in a few months. Got some work to do ;)

Valmont

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=MaximeValmont]You are not rich though.

The program that I am using tells me that under the name Rickson9, there is about 5 posts per day on various forum on the internet, REIN, Fastline forum etc. No serious investor is putting that much time on the internet bragging about how good he is.

Your website is basically some internet-marketing website in which you brag about how much money you made, then people enter your e-mail adress to get your free education program, then you'll try to sell them the idea to invest with you. That not a bad idea, but at some point you'll end up insulting a guy like me that actually can post bad reviews of your website on 500 good website every 24 hours on auto-pilot.

Stop quotting Warren buffett and Charlie Munger like if you are like them. They are billionaire, you are not. They know about finance, you don't. They work all day , you post on the internet all day. People from all over the world say they are the best, YOU think you are the best.

Valmont

I hurt your feelings. LoL! Too easy.

MaximeValmont

Registered
[quote user=Rickson9][quote user=MaximeValmont]You are not rich though.

Valmont

[quote user=Rickson9][quote user=MaximeValmont]You are not rich though.

Valmont

Oh trust me, I know I just hurt yours. You know deep down that you are a fraud. I know it, And you know it. It's actually not hard at all if you know where to look to find out that almost anything on your website is not true and didn't happen at all.

You want me to continue Rickson9?

And by the Way, saying "Lol" when you are over 35..Just stop.

Top Bottom