Must Sellers provide Buyers with Fire Retrofit?

Neil1

Registered
Hi,

My friend is purchasing a 10-plex.

Must the Seller provide the Buyer with a fire retrofit report?

Could my friend close/get a mortgage even If Seller does not even have such a report?

Or would my friend then be required to have a fire retrofit inspection done?

Can my friend request a file search from the fire department or is this different than a retrofit and not usually enough?

Thanks,

Neil

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Seller must do what is agreed in a contract. Many buildings are sold "as is, where is, without any reps or warranties". However the buyer may offer more money and insist on a pristine, upgraded and fire code compliant building .

yes, most banks insist on fire code compliance, but not all.

It is not clear to me what the difference between fire code compliance and retrofit is. Usually older buildings have to adhere to fire code such as fire rated doors, central fire alarm panel if more than three floors, extra insulation of the boiler room or fire extinguishers on every floor, but not sprinklers, for example or other more modern codes of newly constructed buildings. As such, ask for a fire code compliance report and check the associated costs if not compliant.

Neil1

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]Seller must do what is agreed in a contract. Many buildings are sold "as is, where is, without any reps or warranties". However the buyer may offer more money and insist on a pristine, upgraded and fire code compliant building .

yes, most banks insist on fire code compliance, but not all.

It is not clear to me what the difference between fire code compliance and retrofit is. Usually older buildings have to adhere to fire code such as fire rated doors, central fire alarm panel if more than three floors, extra insulation of the boiler room or fire extinguishers on every floor, but not sprinklers, for example or other more modern codes of newly constructed buildings. As such, ask for a fire code compliance report and check the associated costs if not compliant.

Thanks,

Neil