Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

My Vision

Rickson9

Registered
Personally I've already done this (a few times), surprisingly the material/superficial things get old fast. Experiences with my wife, family, and friends are more memorable/valuable to me.

All memories of glass and granite, whether it was Trump, Four Seasons, Fairmont, Celebrity Cruises, Rome, Paris, Hawaii, or whatnot just blended together in an undifferentiated mass for me.

Marketers are smart, they can convince the majority of monied individuals that they 'need' a lot of things; which says something I think.

invst4profit

Registered
I hear what you are saying Thomas but I am a true workaholic.

I don't work to accumulate, other than to provide for my wife, I work for the pleasure of the accomplishment. Something I can not experience being a desk. I must work with my hands. I am also a perfectionist and have difficulty playing with others.

In the last two years we I have been to Panama, Dominican, Jamaica, Cuba, Vegas, Belize and on a cruise. All 4-5 star except Belize. I do relax by the pool but by the end of a week am more than ready to get home and back to what I enjoy. In fact by the end of a week I am beginning to get stressed thinking about the work I want to do back home.

I am not a tourist and prefer to observe foreign countries on the TV rather than in person.

I travel for my wife's pleasure. My ideal vacation is to go to the cottage I am building and build something.

I did the car thing in my younger day now it's just transportation. I drive a 6 year old Dodge mini van (with 320,000 K) because it can hold a full sheet of 4X8 ply and I can leave my tools in it safe, sound and dry. My wife owns the mid life crises convertible.

JoeRagona

Registered
I want to refine what Michael has said here, you have a great WHY and you should keep that, DEEPEN it and as long as you keep that in your mind, the HOW automatically comes because your brain will search for solutions to achieve the WHY.

If you focus on the HOW, you are money driven and you will never be satisfied, you will have fear and lose commitment.

JoeRagona

Registered
Fear is not a motivator, it paralyzes. When you are able to face your fears by having

• A powerful WHY
  • Confidence in yourself
    Commitment to the WHY
you will be able to assert ACTION. I don't know anyone who is driven by fear - do you mean FEAR of going back to working at McDonalds for instance? That is not fear in my opinion, it's a life lesson and has an underlying WHY attached to it - this Adam, is the VISION. If someone thinks they are driven by fear, it's really PAIN from something that moves them forward and they think "I'm never letting that happen again" as an example.

This is the exact talk I did in Alberta this last week and I can't wait to share it with Toronto and BC.

JoeRagona

Registered
This is exactly my point, we don't do things from FEAR, we move AWAY from the PAIN we have learned motivated by our WHY to get where we want to be with Real Estate. The more clear you are the harder you will commit.

JoeRagona

Registered
May I politely suggest that being a workaholic, being always "busy" means a person is running from something - do you know how I know that? Once I looked deep into why I worked 14 hour days "for them", it became evident - personally, my freedom, lifestyle, money and all the rest was just for me, it was selfish and it was to 'prove a point' and constantly defend my 'success' - that's just me....

Where I am today is completely different than the first 25 years of my businesses and with being grateful and giving back unconditionally, it has elevated every part of my business and personal life.

invst4profit

Registered
I had a job, which I am now retired from after 35 years, and was not for a single minute driven to work at it. My goal was to be a satisfactory employee, no more no less. I used it to earn the money needed to do what I enjoyed after work which was to create. To create for me required work. Simple as that.

Now that I am retired I work full time renovating homes on my property and operating every aspect of my property. If I delegated I could own more properties, which I have had many opportunities to do, but that would only accumulate more wealth and take me away from what I enjoy.

Based on your other resent post I am not too different than you in that I must master everything I do. The primary difference I see is that I admit I do it for "self" plus my family and have no desire to "give back" although do so inadvertently. Others do benefit from being my tenants and buying my homes but this is simply a benefit arising from what I do to please myself.

I heard a interesting bit of info not long ago. Numerous wealthy individuals were interviewed, people that had worked to earn there wealth, and asked if they felt they had enough money to feel financially secure. These were truly wealthy people and each one said they felt they needed still more money to reach that point.

Regardless of how much money someone has it seems it is never quite enough.

JoeRagona

Registered
That's because they are driven by money and not the WHY.

You obviously do not want more properties, and enjoy doing renovations as a 'workaholic' but I would guess there is an underlying level to that also.

I'm only speaking from my own experience - I can tell you that I feel more 'at peace' when I am working - vacations for me were first very rare and if I DID go, my work came with me as my security blanket in case I felt 'homesick'. does that make sense? That's a true workaholic with a disease. I would panic if I was away from the office for more than two days.

There's really no space to include the reasons why I did this, but truly it was to be away from other things - to not deal with other areas.

Come see my presentation in Toronto ... you will understand

JBagorio

Registered
My greatest motivation or my WHY is to reach my at most potential and anything else that comes with it is just icing on the cake. It is definitely not just for the sake of money or just simply to be free, but to be in the position to LEAD and to SERVE others to be able to do the same.

Jason

fumbrunner

Registered
To each their own I say. I have met alot of people with a similar make up to invest4profit and have a tremendous amount of respect for people that work that hard. My dad is alot like that and I owe everything I have to the long, hard hours he has put in working in and owning a very successful but small stucco company. He will work until he can't work anymore and that is the only way he will be happy.

My driving motivation is simply to retire early with a modest lifestyle. Working behind a desk drives me nuts, but it is a salary and pension that I do not want to walk away from, especially with a young family. If I could shave 5-10 years off my reitrement day, I'll be happy. That is my personal Belize.

JBagorio

Registered
[quote user=fumbrunner]

To each their own I say. I have met alot of people with a similar make up to invest4profit and have a tremendous amount of respect for people that work that hard. My dad is alot like that and I owe everything I have to the long, hard hours he has put in working in and owning a very successful but small stucco company. He will work until he can't work anymore and that is the only way he will be happy.

Definitely, to each their own`Not everybody is in it for the money. Some are doing it just for the love of it. There are reasons others label them selves as workaholics. Some are very content on what they do in a daily basis, where they are happy to get up every morning without feeling of resentment and don`t need anything else but just the happiness and willingness to do what they do. Some even call them selves retired due to the freedom of being able to do what they truly like doing.

JoeRagona

Registered
This is true Jason - although in my case getting up doing what I loved for twenty years having the freedom to do resulted in other areas of my life to be affected - it's when I took a hard look at what 'freedom' was costing me that the Belize changed and is completely balanced. I too owe my father who started the company from literally my bedroom when I was three. Without the fruits of his labour, I would not have the opportunities today - when the chance came to remember his legacy using our equity which indirectly was his hard sweat, it was a no-brainer to move on and build a portfolio and business to impact not only us, but so many others.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Hermann Hesse wrote a book many years ago called "to have or to be?" .. And after reading it and being inspired by it I realized to truly " be" you also have to " have" to a certain degree !

My cup is full and running over ... assumes a full cup !

Hence many folks cannot (yet) afford to only give or help others as they still try to fill their own cup !

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]Hence many folks cannot (yet) afford to only give or help others as they still try to fill their own cup!

"You don`t need a million dollars to start helping people. You can just be a little more creative and start helping people."

"As long as you`re able to keep your living costs low - if you can live on $1,000 a months, or better yet, $700 a month - you don`t need to do anything for anyone, you can just do the occasional little odd-job, and say no to the rest. I really adopted that philosophy, when I was 22. I actually quit my job at Warner Brothers, and that`s the last time I`ve ever had a job. Ever since then, I`ve just found ways of keeping my life very cheap, saying 'no' to the whole advertising industry`s desire to make you want things
." - Derek Sivers

"The book follows the often-gripping story of how Derek Sivers founded CDBaby.com in 1998 with $500, grew it to with no outside investors ever, lead the company through hypergrowth, and sold it for $22 million in 2008 when it had grown too large for his leadership tastes."

http://blogs.forbes.com/michaelellsberg/2011/06/29/one-of-the-best-hours-youll-ever-spend/

Some people (like myself) have no interest in helping others. I invest for myself. I accumulate for myself. Aside from the taxes that I pay, society doesn't benefit. This isn't good or bad, it just is.

As an unrelated aside, I find it amusing when I see an expensive car on the road. I feel bad that a simple 9-to-5 marketer can convince a supposedly intelligent individual that they're 'experiencing life' by driving it (or regurgitate statistics and technical specs as if they built it). Power. Performance. Zero-to-stupid in 3 seconds. Smart enough to make millions, but not intelligent enough to recognize, manage, deny base ego-driven impulses or the consequences of being ordinary.

"Our enormously productive economy demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfactions, our ego satisfactions, in consumption. The measure of social status, of social acceptance, of prestige, is now to be found in our consumptive patterns. The very meaning and significance of our lives today expressed in consumptive terms. The greater the pressures upon the individual to conform to safe and accepted social standards, the more does he tend to express his aspirations and his individuality in terms of what he wears, drives, eats- his home, his car, his pattern of food serving, his hobbies.

"These commodities and services must be offered to the consumer with a special urgency. We require not only 'forced draft' consumption, but 'expensive' consumption as well
. We need things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced, and discarded at an ever increasing pace. We need to have people eat, drink, dress, ride, live, with ever more complicated and, therefore, constantly more expensive consumption. The home power tools and the whole 'do-it-yourself' movement are excellent examples of 'expensive' consumption." - Victor LeBow, 20th Century U.S. Economist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GorqroigqM

Best regards.

JBagorio

Registered
"You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God." ~Ephesians 4:28

housingrental

Registered
Yes

Fear of failure

Though can often prevent action, it can have opposite impact

Note also re your quoted posted below - You are assuming that you are 100% self aware of your motivation. Is that a reasonable assumption for any human being?

[quote user=ThomasBeyer][quote user=housingrental]

I think it's fear

I get up every morning because of FEAR ?

I go to work because of FEAR ?

I present to REIN members or blog or see my kids or walk along the beach with my wife or buy an apartment building or sell a building or buy a piece of land for development or meet an investor for lunch or research statistics or drive my yellow Vespa or fly a kite because of fear ?

hardly ..

I do it because I (usually) get something POSITIVE out of it .. or at least have the expectation of s.th. positive !

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=housingrental]Note also re your quoted posted below - You are assuming that you are 100% self aware of your motivation. Is that a reasonable assumption for any human being?

A very insightful question.

Checkmate.

housingrental

Registered
Thank you Rickson9

Thomas, let the debate continue !

[quote user=Rickson9][quote user=housingrental]Note also re your quoted posted below - You are assuming that you are 100% self aware of your motivation. Is that a reasonable assumption for any human being?

A very insightful question.

Checkmate.

Top Bottom