Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need advise on how to deal with tenant issue

AminMurji

Registered
I have a suited house and the main floor tenant with his pregnant wife moved in a week ago. He called yesterday to complain that there the basement tenant is smoking pot in the house and it has become a health issue for them. He also mentioned that the tenant is selling the drugs and he has been observing strange people coming to the basement suite. Apparently he tried to sell the pot to the main floor tenant. The tenant does not feel safe and he wants to leave at the end of the month. He had signed a one year lease and wants the deposit back given the circumstances. I don't have a major issue with that.

The main issue is how do I deal with the basement tenant? Do I confront him and ask him to leave on his terms and if not then call the cops and have him arrested for selling drugs?

MarkHealy

Registered
In Calgary the CRRA (Calgary Residential Rental Association) has suggested the breach of contract be noxious odors are allowed to disturb other tenants. No claim as to what the odors are, no police , no accusations. Just a foul smell that comes from the basement when the tenant is home. Couple of witnesses to this; yes I was there it smelled bad..... Take it to RTDRS and you have a good chance to win.

Top Bottom