Need your advice on lowering a basement near the water...

Apr 10, 2008
Toronto
Hi,

I m currently looking at multifamily properties in the Toronto Beach area. Several of them have unfinished basements that appear to be dry. However they are barely 6`6`. I`m looking at properties south of Queen closer to the boardwalk than to Queen.

Does anyone have experience with lowering basements near water?

It would be more helpful if you ve had experience in this specific area?

My main concern is how high the water table and how that can impact the digging down.

Any comments or feedback are appreciated.

Best,

Jason

brentdavies

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
When you deal in commerical properties, the unexpected is the norm. Many deals are made pending approval for rezoning, government approval of projects, and other items that may affect the use and potential outcome of the property. If you building a highrise, you need a soil test so you can determine the load bearing of the ground before you start. This will determine the type of foundations required. Not uncommon to be done 1 year prior to starting construction.

So in this case, you need to know if you can lower the floors in the suites, if the ground water is not too high. If you dig holes, don't do just one, but do the 4 corners and a few in the middle if possible. Leave the holes open for 24 hours if possible to see what seeps in the hole.

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
Probably not practical to do test holes as water issues are usually seasonal. If there is going to be flooding it would likely be in the spring or after unusually high rain fall.

I would not go ahead with the plans unless I could find a similar home in the area that has done the same and experienced several years of no flooding. If I were serious about this option I would be going door to door asking questions.

dplummer

Registered
Sep 19, 2007
Collingwood, ON
Keep in mind that lowering the basement is not a DYI project. Removing the earth without proper support to the structure & walls is dangerous & maybe cost prohibitive. Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Oct 7, 2009
Winnipeg
Another thing to consider is sewer and water. Check with the city about the sewer levels, water can only flow down hill and if you lower the basement you might have some issues with this. You might have to install a pump system on the sewer if you are to low.