Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New build on existing property

Simondial

New Forum Member
Registered
I am living on a 75 x 75 corner lot near the U of A in Edmonton. I am considering building a second house on the lot. The existing property is just under 2000sq ft so the new property would likely have to be a "skinny" house.
One potential snag is that I don't have a back alley and I don't think I've seen this done in our neighbourhood before.

I am wondering how likely I would be to get approval for this and if so what the process would is to get this started.
Thanks.

Michel Lafleur

Frequent Forum Member
REIN Member
75'x75' is an odd shaped corner lot...if thats the lot size and there is already an existing house on the lot, adding a second building may be difficult. If you want to do a skinny house, you'd first have to sub-divide your lot into 2 parcels, run 2nd set of utilities etc. before building the skinny house. If you are looking to build on the corner most lot after you split the lot, the required setbacks (from the street & avenue) mean that it would be a tiny house with odd dimensions.
What is the current zoning ? Pending your zoning, you can likely do a garage or garden suite...although no back alley may pose challenges there.
I have seen many skinnies built onto a 25' wide pocket, but generally those are at least 120' long.

Simondial

New Forum Member
Registered
It is an odd shape, the zoning is rf3.
Fortunately the existing house is about 10ft set back from from both the Ave and street leaving about 35 feet of space to build on on the inside....so although the lot is oddly shaped there is still quite a lot of space left over.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Check the details in zoning re setbacks.

Can you fit a second house with these setbacks?

You could possibly move the old house. But in most cases a complete rebuilt is necessary thus only feasible with a very detailed business case.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
I wonder if there is an opportunity for a laneway house or garden house? The best value is from subdividing if possible but there may be other work arounds. Talk to a builder who does infills, they will know.

Pull the zoning from slimmaps https://maps.edmonton.ca/map.aspx

Then check city bylaw

Caleb West

Multi Family Commercial|Collaborative Office|
Registered
You can do pre development meeting with the city and they will answer all your questions with facts.
I had one this year for a new build proposal and they saved me a lot of time.

Top Bottom