Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New forum Member, Wanted to Say Hi!

LondonHomes

Registered
Hello REIN,

I'm a new forum member and wanted to introduce myself. I actually found this site last week and was unable to join due to the forum upgrade but I have spent a lot of time reading and catching up on recent posts.

I am from London Ontario and I have been involved in real estate for awhile as a realtor for residental property, but I have never been an investor. I found this site as I am now looking to make some personal investments in income property and wanted to increase my knowledge base.

I look forward to learning from and discussing real estate with other members.

Anonymous

Registered
hey there . . . !!!
another newbie here , happy to find this forum . . . :D
would love to have some friends from here . . . :D

housingrental

Registered
Welcome

The is not the ideal timing to start a residential rental portfolio... but it is never a bad time to learn more

MrHamilton

Registered
Hello LondonHomes, Zebediah,

Welcome to myreinspace!

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend picking up Real Estate Investing in Canada by Don R Campbell. http://www.amazon.ca/Real-Estate-Investing-Canada-Creating/dp/0470158891/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293639616&sr=8-2

It is a brilliant book for anyone looking to increase their knowledge base in real estate investing.

All the best!

Erwin

LondonHomes

Registered
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I will make sure I pick up that book in the next few days.

I do agree that I would have been far better off to star a portfolio a few years ago, but I figure that it is better now while market prices are paused, then in a few more years when they start to increase again.

FraserCampbell

Registered
Adam,

Why do you believe now is a bad time to invest? Are you expecting large price declines, higher vacancies, deflation/lowered rents or just a very flat market?

Thanks,
Fraser

housingrental

Registered
For residential properties in most markets in Ontario over many years:

Operating expenses have been increasing at a faster rate than rental rates

The quality of potential rental pool has been declining

Purchase prices have increased significantly; net income from operations has not kept pace

The returns from operations with standard leverage at best are not too impressive - when you account for opportunity cost of down payment, transaction costs, time spent to administer, and long term expenses for upgrades and capital improvements - they are poor at best and more often money pits - Few landlords, regardless of level of experience / skill / expertise will experience "best"

From an operational stand point single family housing are dogs for the start of 2011.... A purchase on them should be viewed as a long term bet on capital gains only.... And I would not make that bet at this point in Ontario

Top Bottom