Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New Rules In The Realtor Sandbox?

lewatson

Registered
Two questions about the realtor sandbox:

1) It`s been several years since I last worked with a realtor to purchase a home and from what the realtor is saying the rules have changed. I`m being told things like
  • - the seller`s realtor can refuse to present my offer to their clients
    - the buyer`s realtor doesn`t present offers directly to the client (unless the client okays it)
    - no justification can be given for the offer price
    - can`t give information out about the buyers (or about the sellers)
My overall impression is there is very little room for negotiations to take place other than make and offer and here`s the counter offer, take it or leave it.

What is a realtor able to do these days to negotiate on my behalf?

2) If Realtor A mentions to Realtor B their client put in an offer on a higher priced home but the offer was refused, does Realtor B negotiate less because they know Realtor A`s clients are capable of paying a higher price, even if Realtor B`s property is overpriced (based on a direct comparable)?

RedlineBrett

Registered
- the buyer`s realtor can refuse to present my offer to their clients

Realtors, like any service person, can refuse to represent people they don`t want to, or refuse to represent a certain transaction. Either work something out with the realtor you like or find a new realtor. Listing realtors are obligated to sumbit all written offers to their clients. Just a verbal offer? They don`t have to, because it`s meaningless.

- the buyer`s realtor doesn`t present offers directly to the client

The buyer`s realtor is just that - the buyer`s realtor. The seller`s realtor will present offers to their client - the seller. This is so the seller doesn`t give information to the buyer`s side that they shouldn`t and compromise their position.

- no justification can be given for the offer price

- As a buyer you can prepare a cover letter, attach it as an addendum and ask that any counter offers have this document signed upon return. So yes you can justify it however you like. If you`re lowballing people are going to want to know why so of course you can justify it. But $$ amount can be seen as black and white in the sellers minds and they (and/or their agents) may not care.

- can`t give information out about the buyers

Agents cannot disclose any information about thier clients that their clients do not wish them to. In particular they cannot disclose the reason the seller is selling, the lowest price the seller will accept, the reason the buyer is buying and the highest price the buyer will pay. If you wish to have information disclosed that you feel will help your negotiating position then you can enable your agent to do so. But don`t ask your agent to learn about the seller because they wont` be able to typically.

My overall impression is there is very little room for negotiations to take place other than make and offer and here`s the counter offer, take it or leave it.

The industry is moving this way due to people screwing up and others getting in trouble. There is still A LOT of `table talk` that goes on between parties and usually each side is comfortable with some information being disclosed and parties tend to loosen up after the original offer has been presented. Almost all my deals get done on the second or third counter after more information about each side comes out.

What is a realtor able to do these days to negotiate on my behalf?

This is a great question to ask your current realtor or any you are planning on using. Each is willing to go to different lengths for different clients.

2) If Realtor A mentions to Realtor B their client put in an offer on a higher priced home but the offer was refused, does Realtor B negotiate less because they know Realtor A`s clients are capable of paying a higher price, even if Realtor B`s property is overpriced (based on a direct comparable)?

Depends on the seller, not realtor B. If the offer was refused who`s to say your price was better anyway. Typically buyers and sellers only worry about their side of the fence. There isn`t a lot of `gameplay` with regards to the otherside because you are only dealing in subjective, speculative information with no proof.

lewatson

Registered
Thanks for the insights Brett. Your comments have confirmed I`ve been given some misinformation, some of it blatantly incorrect.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (lewatson @ Jun 29 2010, 09:36 AM) Thanks for the insights Brett. Your comments have confirmed I`ve been given some misinformation, some of it blatantly incorrect.

I only work in Alberta... rules and protocol may be slightly different in other provinces... but the agency relationship stuff is governed by CREA and should be standard across all boards.

Top Bottom