Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

new tenants want to delay move-in for 3 months due to Covid-19

rickm

Registered
Hey REINation,

Can I get some advice on what to do here?

We worked hard and successfully rented out this half duplex to 5 UofCalgary students, and last week they signed a 12 month fixed term lease for May 1/20 - April 30/21. They've even paid their first month's rent up front. Today they emailed asking if they could delay move in until August 1st, since UofC has gone virtual, and summer jobs are apparently scarce due to Covid-19.

Any quick advice on what is the best course of action for us? Thank you in advance.

Martin1968

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
I have a similar situation, rented to a young RCMP officer in training who signed a lease starting May 1, however the training centre closed down and graduation will be in June, likely even July.

I choose to work with the guy, since I like the tenant profile and it doesn’t bother me if I loose an extra month to 2 month rent. (Rather not of course but)
However, in your situation they ask for 3 months which Is a bit much.

Since these are difficult times, and you possibly won’t get a lot of applications, I would tell them that you will put the unit back on the market for May 1 rent, and if rented by then you will return the security deposit and first months rent. If for whatever reason you are not able to rent it before August 1 then you can still go with them. Communication is the key here and hopefully you will be able to rent it sooner.

And yes, they are right it’s very tough for the youngsters to find or keep jobs at the moment. So from that perspective I understand where they are coming from.

Good-luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom