Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nightmare Tenant

mortgageman

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 10 2010, 09:29 PM) They`ll likely be able to go after that Bentley eventually ....

It`s probably not in her name. Or won`t be when the time comes....
What a ridiculous system.

housedoc

Registered
"It was only after her post-dated cheques stopped clearing after August that Randall discovered the business number on her application was not in service and her reference letter had been signed by a "personal" (sic) manager."

You would think someone with previous negative experiences would be a little more careful.

I wonder if the realtor charged a fee for finding this "dream" tenant?

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 10 2010, 09:29 PM) They`ll likely be able to go after that Bentley eventually ....

Clearly you don`t know much about the courts in Ontario.

Nir

REIN Member
couldn`t this huge headache be avoided by simply pulling the tenant`s credit report before accepting the monster?
I`m guessing not a very good credit history.

invst4profit

Registered
QUOTE (Paul Poulsen @ Jan 10 2010, 10:52 PM) I`m amazed that ANYONE wants to be a landlord in Ontario.

There are fewer and fewer experienced LLs wanting to be in this business in Ontario but unfortunately far to many inexperienced new LLs that invest before ever studying up on the Ontario business environment.
This is a issue that should be heavily stressed by REIN in regards to Ontario investments. The RTA and LTB are not LL friendly.
Although occurrences such as this can be reduced with proper screening once you find yourself with a bad tenant in this provence you will quickly discover how helpless LLs can actually be.
Months of lost income, property damage, no damage deposits, LTB rulings forcing LLs to keep bad tenants, Legal aid manipulating the system, the list goes on and on.
The worst of it is the fact that all to many tenants believe they are within there rights to do what ever they please with your property because they are paying the rent and are usually right.

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jan 12 2010, 07:21 AM) There are fewer and fewer experienced LLs wanting to be in this business in Ontario but unfortunately far to many inexperienced new LLs that invest before ever studying up on the Ontario business environment.
This is a issue that should be heavily stressed by REIN in regards to Ontario investments. The RTA and LTB are not LL friendly.
Although occurrences such as this can be reduced with proper screening once you find yourself with a bad tenant in this provence you will quickly discover how helpless LLs can actually be.
Months of lost income, property damage, no damage deposits, LTB rulings forcing LLs to keep bad tenants, Legal aid manipulating the system, the list goes on and on.
The worst of it is the fact that all to many tenants believe they are within there rights to do what ever they please with your property because they are paying the rent and are usually right.

let`s not exaggerate. The story reminds me of doctors errors. anyone can make a mistake, including doctors and LTBs. BUT.. does this mean the health system is terrible? No. does this mean the LTB system is terrible? No because you do not evaluate a system based on extreme cases. You evaluate by looking at all cases and using statistics to compare between different offices/locations/organizations/countries.
As a landlord you may naturally be not objective/neutral when judging a system that would make you happy by letting you win more cases.
However, a system performance is not evaluated by looking at EXTREME cases like the monster tenant in the link or a doctor removing the wrong leg.
Yes, we can learn a lot from that but don`t let such stories scare you and don`t generalize based on them because they are not representative. if they were the link above would not make news headline! Extreme things just happen everywhere, in any field.
Again, it`s a great discussion and an interesting link/story we can learn from. I just wouldn`t conclude/generalize about an entire system based on 1, 10 or even 100 such stories in a year with 10s or 100s of thousands of cases dealt by LTB.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Jan 12 2010, 09:37 AM) let`s not exaggerate.

Ontario has long been known for these kinds of cases - I`m not surprised and have heard of several similar cases with the LTB making outrageous decisions against LLs.

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (JDaley @ Jan 12 2010, 09:50 AM) Ontario has long been known for these kinds of cases - I`m not surprised and have heard of several similar cases with the LTB making outrageous decisions against LLs.

I heard about them too but several cases might be be 1% of the cases, maybe less(!?) and that`s the point I tried to make. cheers.

invst4profit

Registered
I would gladly trade Ontario`s RTA with any west of Ontario. Unfortunately I highly suspect no other province would be willing to trade.
The four scariest words a LL in Ontario can hear from a tenant are "I know my rights". Translation - I can do as I please and if you don`t like it I will stop paying my rent, let you take me to the LTB, damage your property and in the end, after 3 to 5 months, I will move on to another LL without paying a cent and you can spend more money to try and catch me or be thankful I am gone...

Very few tenants are bad tenants but in Ontario a bad tenant supported by duty council and a tenant friendly LTB is a LLs worst nightmare.
The problem with the LTB isn`t that they do not rule to evict it is the fact that they usually make the LL bend over backwards to accommodate bad tenants for months and multiple filings by the LL before they finally relent and evict.

In my opinion when a tenant does not pay there rent, which is a direct violation of the RTA, a LL should be able to have them out by the end of the month. No pay, no stay. Fair and simple.

housingrental

Registered
investmart
Greg doesn`t exaggerate
He`s just irate seeing innocent people hurt and scammed and destroyed by an operating environment and government sponsored workers
The system is broke
The system isn`t just broke its destroyed
Rent to students
Life, while imperfect, is better.

Top Bottom