Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

No Windows in the Bedroom and Building Code Requirements

BrianPersaud

Registered
I get this question a lot so I thought i'd post my answer the the Forums

How can you have a bedroom without a window? Is it legally considered a bedroom?

The answer is yes

With windows particular states

Ontario Building Code (OBC) States

Article
3.7.2.1. Window Area: (1) Except as provided in Sentences (2) and (3)
or otherwise permitted, every room used for sleeping in any building,
and every principal room such as living room, dining room or combination
of them in dwelling units SHALL BE PROVIDED WITH WINDOWS having areas
conforming to Part 9

Streetcar, for examples does not have windows in their 1 bedroom suites in 8 Gladstone.

How do Developers get over this? I cover this in my book that will be in book stores in the fall

National
Building Code of Canada and the OBC allow for "Alternative Solutions"
where a developer can build something where it's performance complies
with the code.

Streetcar got around this by putting frosted glass sliding doors in the room that brought in natural light

So because it does meet the minimum performance it can be called a room

How does this apply to you? Hire an experienced contractor to that can find alternative solutions for you

housingrental

Registered
Good post Brian

Any thoughts on legal issues around bedrooms without windows that do not meet "performance compliance" ?

as rental licensing will impact?

Possibly room constructed prior to building code requirements, or initially not used as bedroom then usage changed etc... ?

fumbrunner

Registered
I am surprised by this. Diffused light does not typically count towards natural light calculations. They must have had some very friendly building inspectors.

bizaro86

Registered
I wouldn't be willing to buy under those circumstances. Sure, they got an equivalency permit this time, but what about when someone wants to change something? Will the new inspector who wasn't involved in the original exemption be quite so lenient, or will new windows have to be put in at great cost. What about when a tenant complains there isn't a window, or health and safety or rental licensing shows up.

It just seems like something that has the potential to have a significant downside into the future.

Basically, you're trusting the government to treat you fairly, which isn't something that always works out.

Regards,

Michael

Top Bottom