Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Noise issues if I use laminate flooring throughout?

Allie

Registered
I was advised by my general contractor that I should use carpet in the bedroom and other high traffic areas because of noise issues. Is this a real concern? If so, I will take his advise but would placing hardwood laminate in the entire basement be ok then?

Brik8

Registered
I have laminate in my entire upper floor, and it is very loud. You hear everything downstairs. Carpet is much quiter and acts as a baffle between the units and absorbs the sound.
If I had to do it again, I would not use laminate. my 2 cents

brentdavies

Registered
I understand that there a product of thick rubber underlay, which will deaden the sound and is made for laminate floors.
Check with some of the more established flooring companies.

personally I don`t install laminate in walkup apartments, only townhouses.

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Hello all;

We use laminate, and decent underlay to help stop this.

Another way to really help eliminate noise travelling is to cut a small hole in the lower suite`s ceiling and blow in `soundproofing` insulation. This way you don`t have to rip all the drywall down for a really good sound barrier...just a little hole between each floor joist and fill it in.

We`ve done that and it`s worked well...

Maybe an alternative for you!

RanjitPlaha

Registered
There are a number of noise deadening products available from the flooring stores, not the box stores (generally), check around, and read the labels. I have used a number of products that work well.

invst4profit

Registered
Laminate in the basement is fine but highly susceptible to water damage. If spills are not wiped up immediately it causes irreparable damage to seams. Not advisable for bath or kitchen applications.

As far as carpet is concerned it depends a lot on the type of tenant you are planing to rent to. Middle or upper class rentals may be fine with carpet but carpet is a very poor choice for lower income rentals.

Sound wise I would go with the laminate up stairs and deal with the noise problems after the fact.
Spending money in anticipation of a problem that may not developed is not money well spent.
I would prefer carpet in the bedrooms for comfort depending on the class of rental..

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
As Ranjit points out, there are some excellent acoustic mats available to install under laminate. There are many varieties and qualities, so do your homework before you pick one.

My flooring guy told me that at least one laminate can be used in wet areas. I forget the product name as I write this. But, check this out with a flooring company, too. NuFloors, which has outlets across much of Canada, is who I use.

housedoc

Registered
Are you making your decision based on cost? Comfort? Durability?
I would have to agree that the carpet is probably the best way to go upstairs for comfort and noise. Also, that any spills or wetness will quickly ruin laminates.
People often choose laminate flooring because they think it`s cheaper due to the relative ease of installation, but don`t factor in the underpad. There`s a wide range of qualities and prices.
I don`t understand why laminate? Can`t you get other coverings for a comparable price?
I`ve done a number of laminate installations (for clients) of various qualities, from cheap to top end.
I guess I just don`t like the look of floating floors or how easily they`re damaged by water.

BTW....Is this the same contractor who wants $34,000 to paint?

invst4profit

Registered
house doc;

Would you actually install new solid wood floors in a rental.
Are you renting to high end customers, Doctors, lawyers etc. or
are you simply building to your personal taste.

I prefer to install upper low to mid range priced items preferably low maintenance (not hardwood) as I find almost all classes of renters abuse the c**p out of everything.
Realistically lower price items may not last as long but once damaged you still have to repair or replace high cost, high maintenance items.
Plus high value items tend to look worse when damaged or worn than lower priced items in my opinion.
You don`t want renters to get there expectations TOOOO high.

Laminate flooring as an example stands up far better than hardwood to renter neglect/abuse.

NorthernAlex

Registered
Our HomeDepot is selling 10mm clicking Laminte for 0.75$/sf. right now. Looks awesome and worth every dollar. These deals are offered cross the country from time to time as I was told from the employee.

invst4profit

Registered
Be careful when buying click flooring on sale.
Cheap flooring tends to be more difficult to properly get a good fit and the edges tend to chip.
Buying better quality on sale is worth the money as it reduces the frustration level when installing.

NorthernAlex

Registered
Good point, invst4profit. I meant this Austrian Laminate, which HD has on sale. Normal price is 1.19$ - 1.39$/sf.
I bought the same manufacturer and product for us at home and did a couple rooms with it (BR, hallway) and loved to work with it.

Regarding laminate: What are you using underneath the laminate as underlayment?
I tried both solutions from HD, but didnt like both solutions. Very expensive and FMPOV not worth what they promise.

VicChung

REIN Member
QUOTE (NorthernAlex @ Mar 20 2009, 08:20 AM) Good point, invst4profit. I meant this Austrian Laminate, which HD has on sale. Normal price is 1.19$ - 1.39$/sf.
I bought the same manufacturer and product for us at home and did a couple rooms with it (BR, hallway) and loved to work with it.

Regarding laminate: What are you using underneath the laminate as underlayment?
I tried both solutions from HD, but didnt like both solutions. Very expensive and FMPOV not worth what they promise.

When we purchased my last 4-plex, we were faced with a similar situation where the noise level had to be kept to be a minimum. We decided to use thick underlays and a better carpet. The noise has been reduced, but you can still hear from the downstairs units heavy objects being moved. A few contractors had recommended that we blow in `soundproofing` insulation. However, we decided to not go ahead as there would potentially be additional costs such replacing the drywall if they were too old.

I

IanSzabo

You can tell if it is good Laminate the following ways
1) It`s always costs more than $1 a foot, stick to $2 and up
2) 12mil or more
3) In older houses the likly hood that the floors are level are slim, use a Laminate with narrow peaces. It helps with unlevel floors
4) The most important thing is the locking devise, Meaning how the floor locks together. Because the floor floats there is more of a chance that it will come apart.
The flooring that works the best, is the one that fits togrther like hardwood.
We buy it in Toronto at Canadian Flooring $2.35 SQFT
Hope it helps

I

IanSzabo

There are lot`s of ways to improve sound travel, It just depends on how fare to go with it.

terri

Registered
I personally don`t use carpet anywhere, my tenants don`t like carpet. I use hardwood because it can be refinished and looks beautiful and I`m renting to a more upscale tenant. I use laminate in basements but with a waterproof underlayment. I sound insulate between floors, and have provided area rugs where noise is still an issue and they don`t have one of their own. It`s pretty cheap and easy to replace an area rug, not as cheap and easy to replace carpeting.

Mike56

Registered
terri, What are you using to insulate between the levels of the house and does it eliminate the noise?

Thanks,
Mike

terri

Registered
QUOTE (Mike56 @ Apr 20 2009, 03:56 PM) terri, What are you using to insulate between the levels of the house and does it eliminate the noise?

Thanks,
Mike

I use safe `n sound insulation between the joists and then resilient channel to drop the ceiling, 5/8 drywall. It helps with some noises like music and talking, but footfall vibration still seems to travel, even though the resilient channel is supposed to help dampen it.

I live in a 120 yr old victorian that was converted into apts. I live on the main floor and rent out the 2nd/3rd fl apt and rent out the basement. I cannot hear anything from the basement except the bath fan noise vibrates up. I can`t hear talking or music from the upstairs apt, except when they are coming down the stairs to the main entry outside my apt. I can hear them running up and down the stairs and walking above my bedroom. I don`t notice footfall noises anywhere else, so perhaps I`m just more aware of it when I`m trying to sleep. Also depends on the tenant. some are loud walkers. I`ve had 90 lb women that stop louder than 200 lb men.

T.

terri

Registered
QUOTE (Mike56 @ Apr 20 2009, 03:56 PM) terri, What are you using to insulate between the levels of the house and does it eliminate the noise?

Thanks,
Mike

safe `n sound isulation between the joists and resilient channel to drop the drywall, 5/8`s drywall.

definitely helps with talking, music etc. still hear footfall vibration noise.

drew

Registered
Has anyone ever installed laminate directly over carpet or underpad to help with the noise issue?

Top Bottom