Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

North Alberta...some good news

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
North Alberta the best place to weather the economic storm
EDMONTON -- Northern Alberta is the best place in North America to weather an economic storm that’s becoming worse than originally forecast, said Michael Percy, dean of business at University of Alberta.

"When I look down the road, it’s going to be grimmer than I thought it would be for the next year, year-and-a-half. This is going to be an intense downturn," he told city council Tuesday.

However, Mr. Percy said "there’s no better jurisdiction to be located in than Alberta," particularly north of Red Deer, because he still expects companies to pump money into oil sands projects as prices improve.

"At the end of the day, so many fundamentals are positive in the case of Alberta, the best strategy is to treat this as short-term."

Mr. Percy was one of five local experts brought in to give councillors their thoughts on where the economy is heading and what the city should do about it.

The speakers also included ATB Financial senior economist Todd Hirsch, National Bank Financial investment adviser Angus Watt, Melcor Developments Ltd. president Ralph Young and Clark Builders founder Andy Clark.

They suggested falling costs make this a good time for the city to move ahead with infrastructure construction needed as Edmonton continues to grow, especially with interest rates low.

Mr. Clark said his company has 30 projects going on right now, but by the end of the year they only have 10 scheduled.

"I think you’re going to see some pretty hungry builders out there in six months, 12 months

REINteam

Registered
Interesting to see a different perspective. To build on this type of unbiased information and to give members a better look at what`s going on with the economy of not only Alberta, but Canada as a whole REIN™ is hosting the first `Economic Summit` June 26, 27&28 in Edmonton. At this time the following are confirmed speakers, one of whom is mention in the above article:

Todd Hirsch - Chief Economist ATB
Peter Vukanovich - President Genworth Capital
Carl Gomez - Leading Canadian Economist
Ron Gilbertson - Vice President EEDC

We have our feelers out to a number of other prominent economists...the confirmed line up is HUGE, the end result will be amazing. The plan is to have a round table discussion with the economic panel of experts, essentially a discussion forum concentrating on topics that concern us all. Make sure you mark this one down, we will post more details as they come.

Regards,

Ray Reuter
Client Services
Real Estate Investment Network
1-888-824-7346

realdeals

Registered
As part of a group who owns a LOT of land in Edmonton area, I`m happy to hear the good news. I`ll be interested in attending the Economic summit.

Bill Baker

Top Bottom