Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Notice for selling property with roommates

Millions

Registered
Im going to call the residential service but wanted to see if anyone knows.

Im selling a house with a closing of June 1st. However, I am to remain in it until Sept 1.

I have 2 room-mates. From what I know, the residential tenancy laws do not apply to roommates.

So I am wondering Do I have to tell them 90 days in advance or just a month.

If 90 days,

What If I put them on a fixed lease until Sept 1st and then tell them end of July that I can not extend the lease.

Does that work?

julieCEO

Registered
QUOTE (Millions @ Apr 9 2010, 01:55 PM) Im going to call the residential service but wanted to see if anyone knows.

Im selling a house with a closing of June 1st. However, I am to remain in it until Sept 1.

I have 2 room-mates. From what I know, the residential tenancy laws do not apply to roommates.

If 90 days,

What If I put them on a fixed lease until Sept 1st and then tell them end of July that I can not extend the lease.

Does that work?

I don`t think any law apply to such situation. You don`t need to give them deadline of 90 days.. Nothing will happen if you don`t tell them.

myme22

REIN Member
Hi
In BC, the roommates fall under the same category as hotel renters (that can be asked to leave with NO notice. They are technically called licensed occupants. Of course, you have to deal with them in person, which makes it important to have a courteous relationship with them... ask me how I know that (12 years of doing it makes a difference!)
Feel free to contact me if you should want more info.
Serge

QUOTE (Millions @ Apr 9 2010, 01:55 PM) Im going to call the residential service but wanted to see if anyone knows.

If 90 days,

Does that work?

Bill

Registered
QUOTE (myme22 @ Apr 10 2010, 10:42 AM) Hi
In BC, the roommates fall under the same category as hotel renters (that can be asked to leave with NO notice. They are technically called licensed occupants. Of course, you have to deal with them in person, which makes it important to have a courteous relationship with them... ask me how I know that (12 years of doing it makes a difference!)
Feel free to contact me if you should want more info.
Serge

If they are renting the rooms from you and you live in the property it`s as Serge mentioned above and is called The Innkeepers Act and abides outside of normal Landlord and Tenant Acts. Having said that, it only makes sense to make sure they have as much notice as possible as you don;t want to make things rough for them.

Millions

Registered
Yes ofcourse, I will still give them notice. Just 90 days will make them move out quicker and leave me stranded

Now, If I rent out my room as well for the 4months and get them all on a lease ending Sept 1st. Does that work as well? I can tell them that when the lease it up, thats it.

??

Matt

QUOTE (Bill @ Apr 10 2010, 12:31 PM) If they are renting the rooms from you and you live in the property it`s as Serge mentioned above and is called The Innkeepers Act and abides outside of normal Landlord and Tenant Acts. Having said that, it only makes sense to make sure they have as much notice as possible as you don;t want to make things rough for them.

Top Bottom