Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ontario Landlord`s Beware

qdsouza

REIN Member

MTNG

Registered
QUOTE (qdsouza @ Apr 21 2009, 11:01 PM) I would love to hear from other Ontario Landlords - what this Ontario Landlord could have legally done to expedite the eviction of these tenants.

Here`s the video program:

http://www.rogerstv.com/option.asp?rid=2&a...6&tid=27535
(the Landlord I am speaking about is right at the beginning)

And the article to go with it:

http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/clarington/article/123419 <http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/clarington/article/123419

Take Care,

Quentin

This was already posted here.

qdsouza

REIN Member
Thanks missed that. I was hoping to look at it as a Case Study but missed the original post

Cheers

Quentin
QUOTE (MTNG @ Apr 22 2009, 07:06 AM) This was already posted here.

invst4profit

Registered
As a novice landlord the mistake she made, upon realising she had a problem, was in not hiring a lawyer that specializes in representing landlords at the LTB.
These tenants appeared at every hearing with there bottom feeding legal aid in tow and repeatedly convinced the adjudicator to extent there occupancy.
Proper legal representation versed in the operations of the pro tenant LTB would have shortened her suffering.

housedoc

Registered
The woman in the story apparently did everything by the book to evict.
But she did EVERYTHING WRONG beforehand. She was clearly inexperienced going in and accepted marginal tenants because she thought that she was `gauranteed` rent by ODSP.
What a crybaby!

invst4profit

Registered
I do not feel she came across as being a cry baby at all. The fact is she did not initially have professional assistance and when she did have a referral to a professional he was not immediately available setting back the time line considerably.
She made many mistakes as a novice and should not, in my opinion, be mocked or degraded but rather supported by other landlords for continuing her battle and bringing her story into the light of day.

She should be applauded for persevering and taking her case to the point of having these professional criminals charged.

gregg

REIN Member
We have had to evict a few tenants who have left similar messes (without the deer). Most of these tenants were inherited when purchasing a property. It always costs a few dollars to go through the process but once done it is over with and on to the next. I applaud the owner for bringing the matter to the public and filing charges but this is a good example of where landlords can go wrong in not screening properly.

As mentioned earlier, she could have reduced her eviction time by better understanding the process and how the Tribunal hearings really work. As a full time investor and landlord I go to the tribunal hearings (once a week) when time allows even if I don`t have a case, just to listen and learn and as a side benefit I take names of tenants I would never want. I have built up quite a data base of no-wanters to help in the screening process.

Some of the veteran landlord/investors have gone through similar situations and build some form of psychological defence, otherwise you would want to run and never ever be a landlord again. By the way I have met landlords at the tribunal who have given up and in one instance I moved in to help them by purchasing a great property that went cheap because the owner had given up. DON"T GIVE UP! That way the tenant wins, wins, wins... My advice to the investors is to always have a three month reserve of mortgage, insurance and taxes. This would help with the expenses and then I would study the screening process and learn it inside out. We all want to trust people but the fact of the matter is that you need to leave emotion out of the equation and go by the book.

Gregg

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Apr 22 2009, 08:07 AM) I do not feel she came across as being a cry baby at all. The fact is she did not initially have professional assistance and when she did have a referral to a professional he was not immediately available setting back the time line considerably.
She made many mistakes as a novice and should not, in my opinion, be mocked or degraded but rather supported by other landlords for continuing her battle and bringing her story into the light of day.

She should be applauded for persevering and taking her case to the point of having these professional criminals charged.

writeabooknow

Registered
The comments here are outstanding. Each of them contains solid information. And we`ve all ignored it, to our dismay, at one time or another. Can you make applicants jump through hoops at the beginning to ensure you get the best tenants? Well, you can certainly do a few things that will swing the situation into your favour. But they have to be unemotional decisions. The acquisition of tenants is very similar to the acquisition of investment property. Develop a formula for yourself, plug in the numbers and don`t be swayed by anything else.

You know, maybe we should get hold of this landlord as a guest speaker for our Toronto meeting. Treat her nicely, really nicely, let her know there are hundreds of other business people like her, who support her, and just have an on-stage, non-confrontational, interview format presentation. What did she actually do, what did the tenants actually do, what would she now do differently, have some professionals on hand to pick this case apart so we can all learn from it. Don`t point the finger at her, point the finger at the situation and let`s try to learn from it.

Just a thought…

Cheers,

Steve Manning

housingrental

Registered
I like the idea of going to tribunal to pickup investments for cheap

Never heard that before
Watching the cases is somewhat entertaining but sad
Too much injustice in the world

Top Bottom